CHAPTER 2: Memories

NEW YORK CITY.
FEBRUARY 2015

Living does not mean we are alive. Just because you've distracted yourself from the pain doesn't mean you have healed.

Christopher swiveled in his black leather chair, with his head thrown back as he welcomed the painful memories of the past.

His Eyes stung as the acrid smell of smoke lingered in the air, who will answer? He was drowning right in front of their eyes, yet they couldn't  see. Flesh is flaying off  his skin, yet they glory in his excruciating pain. The rapid contraction of Chris heart and its dull thud was the only sound he could hear as he cried for mercy before help came.  No one could see he was naught but a living corpse, surrounded by real corpses. David's eyes were bloodshot, a large piece of metal impaling him from front to back. What about his sister; his own twin? Eyes lifeless from prolonged lack of oxygen___

Chris! Chris! CHRISTOPHER!" Nina called, more like screamed bringing him to attention.

Chris pinched the space between his bushy brows feeling a little irritated at how loud she was then quietly said "Madam, what is it and why are you in my office?”

She hissed loudly, almost spitting like an angered snake, “Mad goat! I have been standing here since calling your name; I don't know what you are day dreaming about."

"What do you want Nee? I'm not in the mood." he called her fondly because he did not want to be rude even though she had just insulted him. Nina was like a sister from another mother, she has stood beside him all these years. Not once did she blame him for her brother’s death and for that he'll be eternally grateful.

"Please be my date tonight? I have to attend a function at dad's place, pretty please" Nina replied pouting and enlarging those doe eyes of hers with her arms joined before her, begging.
Nina was pretty, curvy, sassy, and from a rich home therefore, spoilt. She was David's little sis; the man he killed.

Memories flooded in once again:
Old dude, getting fresher o, Lagos chicks dey do you well o." Chris remembered how he greeted him the last time they met. He wished I had taken it contentedly as he usually did, when big mama;his fathers wife, talked to him that afternoon.  Just maybe, this mistake of a life won't be his to bare. Every random joke, smile, laughter even the stupid pickup lines David usually used on those UNILAG babes that used to flock around him was a painful memory that taunted him.

She hissed clearly irritated, “What in God’s name are you still thinking about that keeps making you wander off " it was loud enough to bring him back to the present.

Chris snapped out of his reverie immediately. Deep down, he knew the only way to get his peace and quiet back was to get rid of her, so he said the only logical thing he could say even though he didn't want to "Alright I will go with you. Must you screech?" He replied rudely to her initial question.

In response her eyes widened and her nose flared in anger and he felt like telling her she looked like someone choking on hot yam but decided against it last minute.

"It is your village people that are screeching and calling for you. No wonder you keep losing focus, better speak up. Suicide rates are getting higher, and funeral rice sweeter "she pushed his head and walked to his side of the desk and sat gingerly like a Queen who has practised the attention several times.