Chapter 6

~I walked the streets all day~

The rest of the school year for Harry did not go the best. It was hard for him to be at the same level with everyone else, and most of his friends now shunned him. His mum made him start going to therapy to try to deal with all of these events, but it didn't help him much.

But during the summer, she knew that things would be better. So Anne got Harry a job at a bakery. As a cashier.

The ladies who owned it knew the special circumstances of Harry, given that Anne had told them, and let him work all weekdays. The weekends during the summer were saved for hanging out with his grandpa. Harry didn't want anything to do with the go-karts anymore, but he still loved his grandfather.

Brian was becoming older, and the go-kart business was dying with him, it seemed. Business was slow, and worry was through the roof. But now, Harry would watch TV and play board games with Brian, which the both of them liked well enough. He was more Harry's confidante than the therapist was.

But as the summer drew to an end, Harry began to get very reluctant about starting school again. Nick got into a couple fights inside and got time added to his sentence - three months more, and Harry felt like Nick was his only real friend anymore. He wrote him often. But he didn't want to go back to school only to get bad grades and have no friends. School was miserable.

But Anne had a solution, and she sat Harry down to tell him.

"Since things have been so rough for you since you came back, Harry," She started. "I enrolled you in a boarding school for your last year."

Harry stared at her blankly, not comprehending.

"But this time, I will call and you can come home during the holidays and visit. It will be different."

"You're sending me away?"

"Because it will be better there, Harry. You'll get a fresh start. You can make new friends, and they really motivate you to do better at school there."

Harry didn't have the words to say what he wanted, so he stormed out and walked down the street. He walked several miles to his grandpa's house, where he was sitting in a recliner, watching the telly.

"My mom is sending me to boarding school!" Harry yelled upon entering the house.

The television was shut off. "What's going on now?" Brian asked him. Harry told him all that Anne had told him, and Brian pushed Harry towards the car. He told him that they would go get ice cream.

Harry was still blazing mad, but as he watched his grandpa drive, he switched his anger onto a different subject. "I want to drive again."

"Is that really the best idea, Harry?"

"It's what I want." Harry got two scoops of plain chocolate.

"Your mom worries about you. Too much I think."

"She's my mom." Harry countered, shifting in his seat.

"You've only got one more school year left, Harry. I think it wise to just do what your mother says." Harry paused, wanting to say several things, but he held his tongue. "Just do what she wishes, and then you'll be done and you can drive. You've got a wild heart kid, that wants to run wild."

"But I'm not old enough yet."

"And you need to finish school."

"Okay. I'll do it." Harry slunk into his seat, knowing that he didn't have a choice. Maybe boarding school wouldn't be as bad as he thought. After all, like his mum had said, it would be a fresh start of sorts. Maybe he would finally get his life together.

He could only hope.