Just A Spark {27} END

There are three things that I absolutely despise in my life:

                The first was waking up.

                The second was being woken up by the sun.

                The third was being woken up by the sun and discovering that I did not magically gain perfect eyesight overnight.

                All three of those were currently the situation I was experiencing. I squinted against the blurry rays of light forcing themselves into my face.

                I rolled over, pulling the covers over my head and groaning. I knew that I should probably get up, but I had no desire to actually force myself out of my warm and comfortable bed.

                “Rio! Are you awake?”

                “No!” I called back to my dad’s voice.

                “Rio, come on, I made breakfast!” he called.

                My stomach growled, urging me to give in and just take my dad’s bribe. I sighed and shoved my covers off, stumbling out of bed and making my way out towards the kitchen.

                A blob caught me and shook their head. “Rio, glasses.”

                “Too lazy to find them,” I grunted, moving towards the table.

                Dad grabbed my again and guided me to a chair. He sat me down and hurried out of the room. He returned a minute later and put my glasses on my face for me, clearing my vision.

                “It’s a miracle! I can see!” I cried.

                Dad rolled his eyes and slid a plate of chocolate chip pancakes to me. “We seriously need to get you contacts.”

                “I don’t want contacts. I want pancakes,” I said, picking up my knife and fork and getting to work slicing my pancakes up as though they were my helpless victims.

                Wow, I have to stop watching horror movies.

                Dad sat down across from me with a cup of coffee. He took a sip and winced as it burned his tongue, hastily setting the mug down.

                “So, are you hanging out with Ezra today?” he asked.

                I shook my head. “No, I dumped him. Didn’t I tell you? I’m dating Ethan’s boyfriend. He couldn’t stand us just having a few scandalous nights together. He wanted the real deal.”

                Dad sighed. “Your sarcasm kills me, Rio.”

                I winked. “That wasn’t sarcasm.”

                I shoved a forkful of chocolate chip pancake goodness into my mouth. I chased it with some milk that my father had kindly poured for me.

                “But yes, I’ll be hanging out with Ezra today,” I said. “Lucky him.”

                “Yea, lucky him,” dad said and ruffled my hair as he stood up.

                Mom came into the kitchen and smiled at me. “Good morning Rio!”

                “Good morning birth giver,” I said before attacking my breakfast again.