Just A Spark {14}

I cracked my eyes open. Last night came back to me, and I looked around my room. But there was no sign that Ezra had ever been in here.

                I sat up and stretched before crawling out of bed. I left my room and sleepily padded out to the kitchen.

                “Good morning,” my dad said, and he looked terrible. There were heavy bags under his eyes. He had a cup of coffee in his hands, and something told me that was the only thing keeping him awake.

                “I’m going to make breakfast. Do you want any?” I offered.

                He yawned and nodded. “Yea, that’d be great. I think I’m going to eat and take a nap.” He dumped the rest of his coffee and sat down at the table.

                I went over and made an omelet for me, him, and my mom. I set the plates down and sat across from dad.

                “Where’s mom?” I asked.

                “She’s in Hank’s room,” he said, rubbing his eyes and taking a bite of his breakfast. “Thanks, Rio.”

                My eyes widened a little and I pulled my shirt up to hide my neck, glad my dad was too tired to notice the hickey there. I stood up.

                “I’ll be right back,” I said and hurried out to the bathroom. I grabbed my mom’s cover up, grateful we had the same skin color, and quickly applied it to hide the hickey.

                I went back out to the kitchen, where mom and Hank were now. I eyed Hank cautiously, and he looked just as terrible as my parents. I had a feeling none of them had slept last night.

                “I’m going to go take a nap. Wake me up if you need me,” dad said, standing up. He came over and ruffled my hair. “Thanks for breakfast, Rio. It was delicious.”

                “Yea, no problem dad,” I said, watching him leave the room.

                I sat down with my mom and brother. I slid my food over to Hank, my appetite gone. He stared at it as if he had never seen food before.

                “It’s food, Hank. You eat it,” I said.

                “It’s yours,” he said.

                “I don’t want it,” I said. “I’ll probably just have some toast.”

                Hank slowly picked at it, not eating much. Mom ate half of hers before standing up and eyeing Hank.

                “Hank, you look exhausted. Why don’t you go take a nap in Rio’s room?” she offered, and shot me a look that begged me to look after him so she could sleep.

                “My bed is super comfortable,” I said. “As long as you promise not to wet it, you can nap there.” I grinned at him.

                “Yea, Rio has to babysit me, I get it,” Hank snapped, standing up and rubbing his eyes. “I’m exhausted. Come on, brat.”

                He grabbed me and mom watched anxiously. I shot her a reassuring smile as I left the room with Hank. We went to my bedroom and he collapsed on my bed. He used to sleep in my room to comfort me during a storm or after a nightmare.

                He closed his eyes and I sat in my chair, grabbing my book to read. I was pretty sure he had fallen asleep after a few minutes, so I jumped when he spoke.