Just A Spark {13}

It was slow and gentle and curious. His lips worked on mine with minimal intensity, because we weren’t trying to make out and fuck on the brick wall in front of a church. We were just exploring our feelings.

                He broke away from my lips. “I think we should give it a little before we have anything official,” he said thoughtfully.     

                I nodded, my lips tingling. “I agree.”

                He chuckled. “Who knew that I’d end up kissing the best friend of the guy who nearly blinded me.”

                I sighed. “And who knew I’d end up kissing the weird guy from the wall,” I said, shaking my head. “But now I see why Mitch didn’t mind making out with you during truth or dare.”

                “Your reaction gave away the fact that you liked me,” Ezra said. “I mean, I was wondering before, but that just confirmed it.”

                “Well, congratulations. You knew before I did,” I said.

                “I suspected,” he corrected.

                “Still more than me. I never even suspected it. It just kind of hit me at that moment,” I said.

                He reached over, placing his hand on top of mine, not trying to hold it, just enjoying the contact. I looked down at our hands, at my tan one and his light one. I noticed that he had a thumb ring on. It glinted as it caught the light of the sinking sun.

                “I have to be back before dark,” I said.

                “It’s not dark yet,” he said, watching a bird on the ground as it hopped around in search of dropped food.

                I fell silent, enjoying the feel of his cool hand resting on top of mine. I let my legs swing a little, just watching the world around the wall as the sun began to sink lower and lower.

                “Are you going to sneak out later?” Ezra asked.

                “I don’t know. My parents will be keeping an eye on Hank all night to make sure he doesn’t sneak out,” I said, finally dragging my gaze up to Ezra’s bright green eyes.

                “Well, I can promise you that I’ll be seeing you again tonight,” he said and smiled, our lips close together. He backed up a little and pulled his hand away from mine. “But it’s going to get dark in a few minutes, so you better head home.”

                “You’re so creepy,” I said and slowly lowered myself off of the wall.

                “See you tonight,” he said with a wink.

                “And again: creepy,” I said before turning and heading back towards my house.

                By the time I got home, darkness had fallen. I let myself into the kitchen, where my mom was nervously pacing.

                “There you are!” she cried. “You didn’t answer my call!”

                “Oh, sorry,” I said, pulling my phone out and checking it to see that I had two missed calls from my mom. “I didn’t hear my phone go off. I’m sorry mom. I was just walking around with Ezra. How’s Hank?”