Part Seven

Later on in the day without even thinking about it I started being a bitch to everyone I walked by. I even got in an argument with a girl in the lunch line, because I cut in front of her. I kind of felt bad when I acted that way towards Ashleigh though, because I seemed to be even worse with her. I always was.

“Are you going to the dance on Saturday?” David asked. “Kaitlin and I are going. You should too.”

So he was going with Kaitlin… crap.

“I don’t really have anyone to go with. I might just stay home or something.”

 “What if I said I knew someone who wants to go with you? He’s really nice.”

“Who?”

“His name’s Kyle. You know him. He’s one of my friends. The one I’m always talking to in 3rd hour. He plays trumpet.”

“I’ll think about it.”

I did know who he was talking about. His name is Kyle Matthews. He was pretty cute, so I wouldn’t mind going with him. I was just surprised that he would want to go with me. Sure I’ve been told many times that I’m pretty, and I’m pretty thin, but most people don’t really look past my negative mood. Besides, Kyle usually dated these athletic, pink loving blonde girls, most of them being cheerleaders. Then there’s me. I have dark brown hair and I’m not very athletic, because I was more into music that sports.

Later on when I was at home I decided to go on the computer to work on homework. A little while later my mom came home and asked me if I was just in her room. I told her I wasn’t and she said she swore she saw someone around my height looking out the window at her when she pulled into the driveway. The weird thing about that is that I was the only one home. My sister was out with her boyfriend seeing a movie so I know it wasn’t her, and I know it wasn’t my cat because he’s not even tall enough to reach the window whether he’s standing on his back feet or not.

I walked in her room to see him sitting on her bed staring at me.

“Hey Coda, what are you doing in here?”

I walked over and sat down on the bed next to him. It was kind of cold by him and I noticed a few seconds later it got warmer, and he looked over at the door. Was there someone next to him that had just gotten up and left?

“Was someone just in here with you Coda?” I asked, knowing he wouldn’t answer because obviously… he was a cat.

He looked back at me and then jumped off the bed and ran out the door.

I got up and went back to my room and got on the computer to see that I had a new message. It was from Kyle. Ha was asking me if I had any plans over the weekend. I said no and that I’d love to go to the dance with him. A few minutes later he answered back saying he’d pick me up at 8:00. Now all I had to do was find something to wear.

-

The next day at school I told Ashleigh about how I was going to the dance with Kyle. She said she wasn’t going because she didn’t have anyone to go with. I felt bad knowing that she would have wanted to ask me.

When it was time to go to class I told her I’d have to talk to her later and hurried to tell Abbie about the dance.

“That’s this Saturday right?” she asked.

“Yeah, I can’t believe he wants to go with me though.”

“I can’t see why he wouldn’t. You have to stop being so negative towards yourself.”

Maybe she was right. Maybe I should start looking at my more positive features.

During 2nd hour I decided to also tell Ryan, because he and Rachel were the ones who originally wanted me to go. He was thrilled when he found out. He said we should all go together. Then asked who exactly I was going with, and I told him how Kyle asked me.

Him and Kyle weren’t in any classed together so he really didn’t know who that was, but I told him to ask Rachel because she knew him too.

We were working on still life paintings today. I thought I was doing really nice on mine when we were drawing it out, but once we started painting I realized I was more of a drawer than a painter. It kind of looked like shit.

Ashleigh’s was really good though. I swear she must be naturally good at painting or something, because she said she never really has before. Then again, I said I couldn’t really draw all that well, but I could. We were like opposites when it came to art. It was kind of weird.

During 3rd hour I looked over at Kyle to see him smile back at me. A few minutes later Iliana finally got there. Only her first few minutes being here were kind of awkward. I was standing next to the door when she came and stood directly in front of me to take off her jacket. I kind of just stood there not knowing where to look because she was literally directly in front of me. After a few more second she finally looked up at me.

“Hi,” she said quietly with a smile.

“Hi…”

She then walked over to go put her stuff over on the steps in front of the door. I continued to stand there confused, but then looked across the room where David was sitting, wondering if he saw that. No one else really seemed to notice, but for some reason it seemed like they should have. After all, who goes and stands right in front of someone just to take off a jacket. Did I mention she was also probably less than a foot away from me? I didn’t know what it was about her, but for some reason she tended to act kind of weird around me… a lot.

Like today, throughout the entire hour, I looked over at her every now and then to catch her looking back. She tended to do that a lot too, and I never knew why. My friends liked to joke around and say that maybe she likes me back, but I highly doubted that.

I began to day dream again somewhere in the middle of the hour. Something I’d been doing a lot lately. Only this time… I wasn’t actually talking to her. I was just sitting somewhere with her. Like I often wished I could actually do.

 At the end of the hour I decided to leave early again and sit at the end of the hallway like I did that last time when I got to talk to her. I kind of always got nervous sitting down there. I’m not really sure why though. I guess because I knew she’d have to walk down here eventually to get to her car, and I just didn’t know when. I often wondered what she thought when she saw me just sitting down here.

A minute or two later I didn’t even have to turn around to know who walked through the door, but I couldn’t help but look anyway.

“Running away again I see.”

“Just came down here to think.”

She just smiled at me and then left. I stood there for a few more minutes and then sat down on the floor, not sure what to do next. The bell finally rang about two minutes later, so I got up and walked back the band room to get my stuff.

 When I was about to go get my lunch I stopped and thought of something. Taking out a sharpie, I walked back down the hallway and on the heater wrote, I love you Iliana, hoping that she never saw it, because she would have known that I was the one who wrote it. I was the only one that was ever sitting down there all the time when she was going outside and it’s not like I couldn’t have just erased it, because I wrote it in permanent marker. Although I could’ve probably just crossed it out… I didn’t want there to be a huge black spot though. Someone would notice more and probably get mad at people for writing on it. Then they’d watch me more or something, because I always come down here and Iliana was a witness to that.