An Almost Regular Day

The bus pulls up to the school and this time it's a little early. I walk down the stairs, go through all three set of doors, enter the canteen area, go through the lunch room doors, and finally sit at our usual table. I've been doing this everyday since like the third day of school instead of the first since I'm a freshman. I made up my mind that today might not be that bad. I look to Jo and say, "Wassup poopy head?" and laugh.

She looks up and says, "Eh, I've been better. Everyone except me and Necessity are sick."

"Oh I heard something's been going around and that it may be serious. I wonder if Grace caught it." Just then Grace walks in.

"Hey guys"

"Hey," Jo and I say in sync.

"Grace is anyone in your family sick too?" I ask.

"Uh... yeah. My dad and Jules, why?"

"There's something going on and I think it's something serious."

"Uh, okay," she responds but not so full-heartedly. Right after she responds an announcement comes on the speakers, "At...tion stu... staff please.. calm. It's been re... there's be... serious out... disease. Ev... do not leave the school under any circumstance. Since the high school is the biggest, the buses will be bringing other students from different schools here. If you know you have a family member in one of the schools please wait to search for them. We are hoping to get all other school students in the gym and classrooms on the 200 hall. Please remain in the canteen and cafeteria area. DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT LEAVE THE PREMISES." At first we couldn't really hear anything because as usual the cafeteria was loud, but the cafeteria staff managed to quiet everyone down. "Wow," we all ended up saying.

5 minutes later

Kelly taps on my shoulder and I do a little jump. "Why so jumpy?" she asked.

I look at her for a second puzzled trying to think of a way to nicely answer that but then I realized she must've been later today. I just tell her what was said on the speakers. "Oh," was all she had to say then she said, "Well when the elementary kids arrive I guess I should probably get my sister, Susie, ughh. This'll be the first time you meet her, right?"

"Yeah," I respond. "I'm gonna text Andrea, Annabelle, Dianna, Caitlyn, Jessabelle, and Jessica if they're okay."

Grace points to Caitlyn while saying, "She's over there"

"Oh, well we still should try to find Andrea, Annabelle, Dianna, Jessabelle, and Jessica.

As Annabelle and Jessica walk in Jo puts in her two cents to say she found them. I geuss she heard us asking about Andrea, Dianna, and Jessabelle because she said, "They're all outside in the canteen area."

"Good so we're all here," I say with content.

"'Ight everyone, if your parent isn't sick you should call them and see if they can go get food and drinks. Maybe some clothes too since we don't know how long this will last," Grace announces to the table. We all agreed that would be best especially since we're not supposed to leave the school.

20 minutes later

"My mom said she can bring snacks," says Jessica.

"Well mine can bring the drinks," notions Dianna.

"My dad can bring us blankets," Andrea included.

"My mom said she can bring medicine, but I gotta text her what kind she needs," I mention.

"My dad can buy three battery packs and three extra chargers," Caitlyn informed us.

"I think we're gonna be just fine," Andrea reassured us.

5 or so minutes later

In walks Adam, Luther, Thomas, Mark, Richard, Jay, Elijah, and Desmond. Desmond is my crazy, idiotic, funny, aggravating cousin. Andrea is my crazy, smart, semi-funny, aggressive cousin. Jessica is my crazy, smart, funny, somewhat agitating cousin. My family is filled with crazy.
"Hey cuz'," Desmond says to me.
"Hey," I reply.
Next Jessabelle is hugging Luther, her boyfriend, and saying how she's happy he's okay. Jessica, Jo, and I look at each other and laugh a little. She doesn't notice or she just decides not to say anything.
"Hey y'all," I say to the rest of the dudes since they couldn't speak or something.
Only Elijah, Mark, and Richard reply. I glare at those who didn't reply.

"The elementary school has arrived first. Once the buses go back out, if you have relatives that have just arrived you may go get them. Please go in an orderly fashion and keep them calm. Please refrain from yelling. Thank you. More announcements to come"
"Phoebe will you come with me to go get Susie?"
"Sure"
"I'm coming with y'all," Jo and Adam say at the same time but Adam adds, "so I can get my brother"
"'Ight," I say.