[ xii ]

CHAPTER TWELVE

♔♔♔

"So we have no idea who that vampire was on the road?" Luca asks as she, Stefan, and Elena sit in the latter's bedroom.

"Yes. Do you remember anything else about him?" Stefan asks, wanting to find the man as much as Luca.

Luca shakes her head. "I couldn't see his face, he had a hoodie on and it was dark. All I can remember is his black boots walking towards me." Luca shivers at the memory. She was grateful to Damon for arriving when he did.

"I brought some vervain. For, um, for you two and Jenna." Stefan reaches into his bag and pulls out a box. "And, um, I made this bracelet for Jeremy, a few extra ones for friends."

Luca looks down at the plant curiously. A small flower can take down the most powerful creatures on Earth (that she knew of). Stefan hands Elena a bracelet.

"You can put it in jewelry, or you can even put it in food or drink, but as long as it's in you or on you, a vampire cannot control you," Stefan explains to the twins.

"Wow, so much to remember," Elena says with a sigh. Luca didn't really think it was a lot but she assumed Elena was just overwhelmed.

"I know," Stefan says sympathetically. "But there's another vampire in town, so until we find out who it is and what he wants, we have to be careful."

Before the twins can respond they hear the doorbell ring and Jeremy yelling out. "Elena, I need the money!"

Elena grabs her wallet and runs downstairs. Stefan takes their time alone to talk to Luca.

"Have you told her about...?" Stefan trails off but she understands what he means.

"No, I have not told her that our whole lives are a lie and we are descendants of Katherine, your psycho vampire ex," Luca says feeling guilty. "I want to and I know I have to, it's just- how? How do you tell someone that?"

Stefan looks at the girl understandingly. But he couldn't respond as he heard Elena walking back up the stairs and he didn't want her to hear.

Stefan leaves and Luca couldn't take the secrets anymore and spills the beans.

Elena is distraught and in denial. However, Luca could not bring herself to tell her about Katherine. Those two things would overwhelm her and she didn't want that.

She promised Elena in her head that she would tell her soon. As soon as she wasn't as upset about them being adopted.

♔♔♔

Luca and Caroline walk out of school to eat their lunch outside. Luca had just given her a necklace laced with vervain.

"It's so pretty. Thank you." Caroline says, making Luca smile. "God, it'll go with, like, everything. What's the occasion?"

"Why does there have to be an occasion?" Luca asks with a teasing tone. "Can't a friend give a friend a gift."

"A lesbian friend gift? Cause we're freaky like that," Caroline says teasingly suggestive.

"If I was gay, you'd be my first choice Care," Luca says with a playful wink. "How about the occasion is that it's been a hard couple of months and I want to thank you for being there and being a good friend," Luca says honestly. She is so appreciative of Caroline for being one of the only normal parts of her life.

"Why are you being so mushy," the blonde says but Luca knows she appreciated her saying that.

"Well you've been avoiding Elena and me, and I just wanted you to know that whatever is happening, we are here for you and we love you. And it's okay that you're with Matt."