[ iii ]

CHAPTER THREE

♔♔♔

"I'm not saying don't date the guy. I'm just saying take it slow," Bonnie instructs Elena, as the three girls get out of the car.

Elena pointed her finger at Bonnie. "You were the one who said to go for it," Elena exclaims confused as to why Bonnie suddenly changed her mind.

"Now I'm saying take it slow," Bonnie explains trying to smile.

Elena and Luca look at Bonnie confused, "Why the about-face?" Luca asks Bonnie.

"It's not an about-face," Bonnie shrugs. "You're single for the first time in your entire High School Career. It's the perfect time to play the field," Bonnie suggests.

Luca laughs. "Ha, Elena 'playing the field'? Yeah, cause she's so that girl." Elena laughs in agreement. Luca looks over at Bonnie who wasn't smiling, looking a bit freaked out. Luca feels her stomach twist in worry. "Seriously, what are you not saying," she asks Bonnie.

"It's stupid," Bonnie mumbles shaking her head looking forwards. Elena grabs Bonnie's arm, stopping her.

"Bonnie...," Elena says in a demanding tone. But Bonnie ignores it.

"What?" Bonnie asks even though she knew what Elena wanted.

"Spit it out," Luca demands, now curious. Bonnie looks at the twins before she decides to tell them.

"I accidentally touched Stefan, and I got a really bad feeling," Bonnie says, trying to shrug it off. The twins look at each other before looking back at Bonnie with an raised eyebrow, motioning for her to continue.

"Is that it?" Elena asks, obviously not taking it seriously. Bonnie frowns and moves to walk away.

"Bonnie," Luca calls, grabbing her arm again and pulling her back.

"It was bad-bad," Bonnie explains to Luca, her voice illustrating her worry. Luca frowns, Bonnie isn't one to be overly dramatic, so this had to be something.

"Is the whole witch mojo thing again," Elena asks, tilting her head to the side looking at her in disbelief. Bonnie decides that Elena won't understand.

"You know what, I'm just concerned," Bonnie says faking a smile. "This is me expressing concern about my best friend's new boyfriend," Bonnie tries to explain again.

Elena grabs Bonnie's shoulders. "And I love you for it, I do," Elena says leaning closer to her. "But I feel good. It's been a hard year, and I'm starting to kind of feel like things are getting back to normal again. And you know what Stefan is a big part of that," Elena explains to Bonnie, dropping her hands.

Bonnie sighs and looks at her deciding that Elena was right. She did not want to be the one standing in her friend's way of happiness. But Luca can't help but think about what Bonnie said.

Dropping the subject they walk around laughing and talking when Stefan walks up to them. "Good morning, Elena," Stefan says smiling at Elena before looking at the other girls. "Good morning, Bonnie, Luca," he smiles warmly.

Bonnie looks at Elena before excusing herself. "Hey, um, we gotta find Caroline. She's not answering her phone. So we'll catch you guys later," Bonnie says in a rush, grabbing Luca's hand and pulling her along as she walks away.

"Bonnie wait..," Elena says, and Luca just looks back and waves goodbye.

Once they are far enough away Luca speaks. "Bonnie. You know you can talk to me right?" Luca says and Bonnie looks over at the girl and smiles.