Chapter 23 - Epilogue

"You need to learn to defend yourself properly."

Merlin looked up from the book on court etiquette that he was reading, quite surprised by that statement.

"I can defend myself," he replied, looking at Arthur who was standing in their archway with a pensive expression on his face.

"Not with magic," Arthur clarified, which made more sense. "You need to be able to defend yourself if your magic is cut off again. I know you say your magic won't let it happen, but I want you to be prepared, just in case."

It was a chilling thought, but one Merlin had considered nonetheless. He was sure his magic would not consciously allow itself to be caged in such a way again unless by Arthur's hand, but if he, for example, was hit on the head, he wasn't sure what the outcome might be.

"I would not be strong enough to lift a sword if it was," he pointed out the obvious flaw in what he thought Arthur was thinking.

"I know," Arthur replied, striding towards him, "that is why you are going to learn to use knives, throwing knives to begin with."

Merlin found the book taken out of his hands and closed.

"Um, are you sure that's a good idea?" he said dubiously, "I'm not really very good with sharp objects."

"Oh that I know only too well," Arthur replied, but smiled. "Never fear, we will improve your sword work as well, but knives now. I have had a target set up in the practice field."

And that was it, the decision was made and Merlin didn't even bother arguing, he just followed Arthur when his prince led the way towards the practice field. As promised there was a straw target set up ten feet or so from a small table, which appeared very out of place in the middle of the open space. On the table there was a box, a quite ornate box and Arthur immediately opened it. Merlin wasn't sure he had ever seen so many perfect blades next to each other, or any such finely crafted handles. He knew for a fact he had never been asked to clean them.

"My father gave me this set for my thirteenth birthday," Arthur said, pulling one of the knives from its velvet bed, "they are well weighted and will be good for a beginner. I am having a set made for you, but these will do until they are ready."

Merlin looked at the set of knives, the one in Arthur's hand and then at Arthur; he was a little overwhelmed.

"A set made?" he asked, very surprised by that.

"Of course," Arthur said and handed him the knife; "under my tutelage you will become an expert and you will need your own blades."

Merlin felt very much out of his depth, but he was nothing if not resilient. He changed his grip on the knife in his hand and felt its weight as well as he could and then squared his shoulders.

"Okay," he said, deciding that he might as well put his mind to learning, because Arthur was determined and there was no point in resisting the irresistible, "what do I do?"

Arthur smiled at him for that response and took one of the other knives and moved them so they were facing the target.

"Hold it quite loosely like this," Arthur instructed him, showing him the proper grip, "then just aim and throw. Look at the target, not what you are throwing and centre yourself on it."

Moving with his usual grace Arthur then demonstrated and hit the target just off centre. It was annoying how easy Arthur made it seem, but Merlin soon found out how difficult it actually was when he threw his knife and missed the target completely. The way Arthur looked at him was not impressed.

"Guess we have a lot of work to do," Arthur finally said and handed him another knife from the box.

When his third knife went to sail past the target as well, admittedly closer, but still not good, Merlin had had enough and flicked it back towards the target with a little bit of magic.