Chapter 2

It was late at night and the farm was silence. The horses in the barn talked to each other every once and awhile and the cat wouldn't stop following him around. He found a cow out in the field and a pig's pen out back with a mother pig and her babies. About twenty feet away was a chicken's coop.

He was trying to remember his name, or anything about himself. No matter how hard he tried, nothing would come to mind. He knew his name started with a J but couldn't remember anything else. Not his age,where he is from, why he was a ghost, or why he was even here. The old man came back to mind and he tried to place where he knew him from.

Walking out of the chicken coop, he watched the house. A light was on in one of the rooms on the top floor but the window next to it was dark. There was only one light on in the house and it had to be two or three in the morning.

Without thinking, he reached for the door handle but when his hand went through it he remember that he was a ghost. Feeling like someone breaking in, he hesitated before entering. There were books covering the kitchen table and more books on the counters. The island in the middle of the kitchen had a vest of flowers on it along with a photo album.

Thinking back to the barn earlier that night, he remembered he was able to pick up the stick. Closing his eyes, he focused on the book and lifted his hand to rest it on the cover. As he opened his eyes he kept focusing on the book and slowly opened the cover. He kept his focus on the book as he looked through the pictures and stopped when he found a picture of a little girl.

It was the same girl he saw from the vision in the white room.

Who ever this little girl was, she wasn't here anymore and it was a sore spot with the girl who could see him. Oh that girl. He couldn't stop thinking about her. When he ran into her in the driveway he was confused and didn't know how he got here. He tried to answer her questions but couldn't and found his escape when she looked away.

When he was in the barn, he didn't hear her and her friend come in. Something had pulled him towards the barn, a glance of a little girl running in maybe, but he wasn't sure what it was. He felt bad when the girl freaked out over the drawing he had done. Not meaning too hurt her feelings, he kept his space and left them alone.

Moving from the kitchen, he went into the living room. The room was big and had a lot of space. Would have been great for family, and not for just two people. There was a fireplace against the right wall and all around it were bookcases full of more books. How many books were in this house, he thought as he walked over to read the titles. A bunch of the books were parts of book series and some were about horses and other animals.

Stepping back, he looked around some more and found some empty spots above the fire place. Dust covered the whole top shelf but something caught his attention. A small pink hair pin was in the corner of the shelf. Tilting his head, he stared at it until he heard something come from the other room.

Walking down the hall, he followed the sound of sobs and sniffles. A door was cracked open and he looked through it to see a desk with a laptop on it. Up against the left wall was a couch with someone laying on it.

Their back was facing him but he knew who it was before they even flipped over to look towards the door. He didn't have to see her face to know it was her, he could tell by the sad tears going down her face. In the dark room, he could see everything as if a light was on somewhere in the room.

Walking in, he walked over and sat at the foot of the couch. She continued to stare straight ahead and he turned to see a collection of empty hooks on the wall. Picking up her feet, he set them in his lap and laid his head back against the couch. Is it possible for a spirit to feel sleepy, he thought as he closed his eyes.

Opening his eyes back open, he looked over to see that she had stopped crying. Who was this girl and why was she always so sad? Running his figures up and down her left leg, he zoned out. Where was her guy and what happened to her child? Looking back at the wall, he wondered where all of those pictures had gone.

Her crying finally stopped a little while later and dozed off just as the sun was coming up for the day. Getting up, he moved her feet and as he did he saw a picture laying on the back of the couch. Picking it up a flash of memory came to him but it was gone so fast that he couldn't make anything out of it besides a women who was always smiling and having something nice to say.

The boy in the picture was looking back at him and he realized it was himself in the picture. Where could she have gotten this from? He didn't even remember if he had it with him when he came here. Laying the picture down on the table by the couch, he started to leave the room. Her friend will be up any minute now and he wanted to check out the rest of the house.

Shortly after he was done checking out the bottom of the house, he heard movement from upstairs. Climbing the stairs, he walked onto the second floor landing as a door opened and her friend walked out with crazy bed head. She froze where she was and wrapped her arms around herself as she walked over to the AC.

Giving it a questioning look, she walked off and walked into the bathroom. Wanting to give her privacy, he didn't enter her room and started to check out the next three rooms on the floor. The first room had a small twin bed and a dresser in the corner. The next room was pink and was empty. Up along the top of the wall were pictures of small animals. If he had to guess, he would say this was the little girl's room.

Closing the door behind him, he stared at the door across from him. Her room. This must have been her's. Her room looked like someone had just slept in it. The bed was unmade and clothes thrown half across the room. A mirror on the wall was broken and on the floor.

On the bed side table was a picture of a happy family. Her guy and the little girl where in her arms as they laid out on a beach. The frame was cracked and was knocked over. There was so much sadness in this house and it was all coming from downstairs on the couch.