Chapter 13 part 1

Mae was sitting her car in-front of the police station and kept running her hands up and down her legs, drying them off. J could tell she was nervous about the meeting she was about to have about Fate's ex and if he had to be honest, J was both upset and glad she hadn't told Fate. He was upset because she should know that he is out there and she could be in danger but he was glad she didn't know because she would close off again and not leave her room.

When he heard that Mae had a meeting this morning, he knew something was up and once he knew that Fate would be safe with his sister for the day, he was off to find out what Mae was really up to. Now they sat in the car and waited for Mae to get up the willpower to go in.

Everything will be fine, J thought as he reached out and lightly touched her arm. Reaching for her coat, Mae slipped it on as she opened the driver's door and stepped out. Following her up the steps, he noticed a cop and lady going at it on the steps. By the tone of the cop's voice, he cared deeply about the lady but she had no feelings whatsoever.

Poor dude, J thought as the door closed behind them and left them behind to have their fight. Mae walked up to a desk and asked for a cop named Drew.

"Mae! How is my favorite girl doing?" a cop in his late 60s asked as he wrapped his arms around her neck in a hug. "Lets go into my office, knowing you there will be some yelling and throwing shit," he half joked.

"You know me way too well," Mae laughed as she looped her arm into the cop's arm. J followed behind while checking all of the other cops out. Walking past one desk, the papers on it went flying to the floor and cop freaked out as he grabbed for the papers, making the guys all around him laugh as he mumbled something under his breath.

"So, what's new? Any updates on his whereabouts?" Mae asked once the door was closed behind them.

"We had an alert on his bank account out in Texas, but we have no idea why he would be out that far so we are still looking to see if anyone has spotted him at any gas stations or hotels. Either his card got stolen or he is trying to throw us off, which isn't happening," he explained.

"So, in other words, no. Nothing new?" she asked with a heavy sigh. She dropped into a chair and put her head in her hands. "Do you think he will come after her? Do you?" she asked as she looked up at Drew.

"We don't know, but we don't think he would let the chance pass him by if he knew she didn't know he was out," Drew said, not holding anything back. "Where is she right now?"

"She said she was going out shopping, I'm hoping Charlie is with her. Fate knows something is going on and I'm trying to hide it."

"How is Fate doing? When was the last time she left the house?" Drew said, acting like the father they see him as.

"She hasn't left the house in a while, so when she told me this morning that she was going shopping and was moving back into her old room, I knew she was getting better. But at the same time I am worried about her. Lately she has been acting like there is someone else in the room with her, then we found this picture in barn," Mae said as she pulled out a copy of the picture of J and his mom.

J didn't know she had the copy and it took him a second to realize that Mae would recognize him. If she recognized him then does that mean Fate know who he is?

"Charlie's brother? You guys found this in the barn? How did it get there?" he asked, looking at the picture.

"I don't think she knows who he really is, she never officially met him. She would have met him but he had an accident the night before we were supposed to meet him," Mae said, loooking at the picture in Drew's hand.

"So you think she is seeing his ghost?" he asked.

"I hope not. If it is him, Charlie would be so worried. He has been in a coma for almost a month now and if Fate sees him now, then wouldn't that mean he's gone?"

"No, he could still be alive. They have him on life support right?" at Mae's nod, he went on. "He could still be alive, but at the same time be with Fate. It's called an out of body experience. Maybe something told him that she needed him or God sent him to help her. So you haven't told Charlie?"

"No, like I said. I'm afraid to tell her and have her worried anymore," she said with a frown on her face.

"I'll call you if we get anything. In the mean time, keep an eye on Fate and your girl. I'm sure Charlie's brother is fine and that he will be awake soon. I'll go by and see him later," he said as he gave Mae a hug before sending her on her way.

Leaving Mae in the waiting room of the police office, talking to another cop, J went to check in on Fate and was surprised by what he found.

This is all I have for now. From this point forward, I need to work on it. Which will be hard because one of the characters is based off of a friend that isn't in my life anymore and it still hurts to think about them. So just be nice to me and I'll post the next chapter when I can. Thanks!