Chapter 1

“Fate, where are you?” Mae called out as she walked into the barn. When I didn't answer her on her fourth call she left. I let out a sigh of relief until my phone started to play Angel With A Shotgun. Shit!

“I know you are in here,” she called out as she came back. Crawling on my stomach, I reached the edge of the loft in the barn and looked down. Eighteen year old Mae was standing by my horse, Crow, and was holding her hair back with her hand as she looked up at me.

I tried to smile but I failed. “Sorry, didn't hear you calling,” I lied.

“Bullshit, why are you up there? You are supposed to be getting ready for that blind date,” she huffed.

“About that,” I said looking away. Her eyes shot open wide and I knew what was coming next.

“You said you would go! He is so excited to meet you. Why do you keep doing this to yourself? It has been years, I want you to be happy and you aren't!”

I laid there and got the same speech for the hundredth time this month. Tuning Mae out, I watched the sun ray coming in through the open door.

“Fate! Please listen for once,” Mae cried out. “Fine, I'll call and tell him you can't make it,” she mumbled as she turned and left.

Flipping onto my back, I watched Crow hanging upside down. When I had my daughter, she loved him. He was her birthday present for her 3rd birthday and loved him to death.

Since her funeral, I hadn't ridden him and wouldn't let Mae sell him. He snorted and another snort answered him back. Looking over, I saw Cas standing in his stale. Cas was Mae's and was a surprised gift when I won him at the fair a few years back.

Crow was all black and Cas was white with brown spots. They were the same age and were unseparateable. Mae and I use to be that way. But things changed after the funeral.

The sun had set by the time I climbed down from my loft. Before leaving, I cleaned the stales and fed the horses. When I finally left the barn for the night, I was too busy thinking about the guy Mae had set me up with that I didn't see the boy in front of me.

A cloud of dirt made me look up and I saw a boy with shoulder length hair and a plaid shirt on, staring at me. I stopped and looked around to see where he came from and when I saw no car I took a step back. His face was dirty and his jeans had some rips in them but he looked to be in good shape.

“Sorry, but who are you?” I asked eying him up and down. I really hope this wasn't the guy I was supposed to meet up with. If this is what he was going to wear to meeting me then I'm glad I didn't go through with the blind date.

He stared at me wide eyed and looked around. He opened his mouth to say something but nothing came out. Closing his mouth, he tried to clear his throat and tried to talk again but still nothing came out. Okay, this is going down hill fast,I thought.

“Do you need a drink?” I asked pointing to the house. The boy didn't answer, he looked like he was surprised I was even talking to him. I looked around again for a truck or a car but didn't see any. Turning back to him, I found him gone. Turning around in a circle, I looked around for the boy but found him no where. I am not going crazy, I am not going crazy. I hope it's a side effect from my new anti-depression pills, I thought as I turned to head to the house.