Chapter 3

The next day, after a good sleep to keep her nails sharp, Maleficent snuck out of the house, hoping to play a prank when she saw the officer whose cap she accidentally stole on patrol. Turning around, it was too late. The officer saw her and he sprinted towards her. Maleficent tried to run away, but her leg was still a little stiff and she fell over by accident. The officer managed to catch up, so he pinned her down. “I hardly need help from others, but where are you, Hades?” Maleficent thought while she struggled with the burly officer, trying to aim a punch or kick at him but to no success. She couldn't use her magic, either, for she couldn't free her hands from behind.  “WHAM!” rang out and the officer fainted, with Hades poised over him in a boxing pose. Stuffing the cap he brought out with him roughly in the officer’s hands, Hades helped Maleficent up and she dusted herself clean, flushing.

“Thanks.” Maleficent tried, as the polite word was brutally flung off her hesitant tongue. Hades snickered under the cover of a cough, but Maleficent was not one to be played with or fooled. She glared angrily at Hades as her skin glowed slightly green, but upon noticing him staring at her she hurriedly let her anger subside lest her skin draw suspicion. Storming off, Maleficent could hear hurried footsteps behind her as Hades tried to catch up with her. Maleficent grinned, and she increased her pace. Within a minute it became a full fledged sprint around the neighbourhood. Passersby watched as a slim purple-locked girl happily sprinted from a bulkily built blue-haired boy.

After the sprint, Hades dragged Maleficent to a nearby mini mart and grabbed her a cup of coffee before they snuck into an alley. He had classically stolen it with a grin, but his style was unlike Maleficent’s. Still, it was wicked effort, hence Maleficent feigned courteousness and took a sip then shivered. “What's this?” She choked on the light brown liquid and Hades understood her problem. He grabbed her cup and swapped it with his. “Try this one. It's darker coffee and it's without milk or sugar.” Rolling her eyes, Maleficent scanned the area that Hades had previously touched and sipped from an area he didn't.

“Seems like you prefer black coffee...” Hades mused as Maleficent tried to hold back her satisfaction at the change of  the coffee. Putting down her cup, Maleficent started scaling the wall, taking advantage of Hades who was busily sipping his cup of latte. After Maleficent had finished her scale, she sat up there, waiting for Hades to realise that she was gone. “Oh yeah, by the way,” Hades finally turned towards where Maleficent was ten minutes ago then realised she was missing.

“Maleficent!” Hades shouted, before he heard muffled cackling above him. Tilting his head backwards, he found himself staring straight up at Maleficent. “Come down! You can't let others see you doing this; they'll freak out and call the police!” Hades whispered urgently and he was indeed correct. There were already quite a few passersby who were already pointing up at her. Acting cool, Maleficent jumped down from the 3-metre tall wall in a gracefully rugged manner. Of course, usually people wouldn't attempt that, but since they didn't know Maleficent wouldn't get hurt, there was quite a lot of audible gasps and screams.

“Sorry for the disturbance, we'll leave right now.” Hades bowed as he grabbed Maleficent’s collar far too tightly and dragged her away hurriedly. “Ugh get your hands of my collar!” Maleficent snarled and she stormed back to Hades's house in ferocity. She literally crashed down the wooden door and she slammed the door to her room. It had a bed, or rather a crib since Maleficent could be called towering. She squeezed onto it and she only decided to leave the room for dinner. Realising the house had became very warm, Maleficent sent a gust of cold wind through the room. Warmth depleted her, she recalled from experience, and just as she turned she crashed straight into Hades.

“Look, I'm sorry about just now okay?” Hades apologised, trying to soothe Maleficent but she only got more angry. “Sorry? What's that supposed to mean now? You've ruined my collar thanks to your ‘loose’ grip!” Maleficent’s voice grew deathly soft and venomous. She held up her jacket and Hades finally understood. The collar was badly ripped and the leather of many parts had been torn off. Wordlessly, he took it and took out some scrap leather and sewed them on to her jacket. After his masterpiece of a jacket was done, the jacket looked patch worked but elegantly evil.

“There you go.” Hades wore it on for her, but she shrugged it off and hung it gently on a peg. She turned to leave once more but Hades grabbed her and spun her into his embrace like a medley of a dance step. Their lips brushed as his found hers and he pressed his gently down. The pressure parted Maleficent's blood red lips in a trice and she had to summon all her strength to push him off. Grabbing her dinner, Maleficent quickly turned to leave but she paused outside her door, “See you tomorrow Hades.”

Locked up in her room, Maleficent touched a long and slim finger to her lips. No one had done that to her before, for she hadn't fell in love with anyone before, except Stefan, maybe. Maleficent blushed, colour flooding into her pale face as she recalled that moment. However, her face glowed with happiness too, something she hadn't felt in years.

How time flies, weeks passed as their relationship grew stronger and closer. They bonded on their fondness for evil, though they never revealed their true identities to one another, leaving it as Hades knowing who she actually was but Maleficent not knowing who he really was. Perhaps, we’ll never know, but love might have sparked between them, because both of them were in human form. One night after Hades fell asleep beside Maleficent, while stroking his face Maleficent breathed in his ear so softly, it was hardly a whisper at all, “I love you, Hades, I promise I'll be gone and back before you even know it. Wait for me.” She planted a gentle kiss on his lips before rolling of the bed stealthily. Getting up, Maleficent left the house, leaving all her human belongings behind without any note, thinking she would return. That was the night where she decided to make a trip back to her fortress, to make a final break from it, not knowing that two big things were just about to happen.

Upon reaching her fortress, Maleficent felt sick to her stomach all of a sudden. She shook her head to attempt clearing it, but it still lingered there a little, making her clutch at her stomach for a while. Maleficent changed into her old attire for memories’ sake, with the cape and all. She let her horns come out from their glamour and she wrapped up her hair and horns with black leather just like she used to everyday. The moment she was done dressing herself properly, however, she heard her goons fighting loudly, weapons clanging ever so loud.

“Diablo, my pet” Maleficent stroked her pet raven that she'd left behind, “go tell those idiots to stop-” Her sentence was yet to be finished when she suddenly realised that Diablo had been turned to stone. “The three good fairies!” Maleficent gasped and she knew she had to flee. But, to where? There wasn't enough time to make it to the human realm or Moors. Worst still, she felt more and more nauseatic than ever and she was burning up in a fever.

Maleficent stumbled to her window and retched out her dinner onto whoever was so lucky to be standing right below to receive burning hot vomit on them while she clutched at her stomach. Maleficent had a suspicion of what was wrong with her, but before she had the time to even doubt her suspicion, her latched room door flung open and Phillip rushed in as he flung the gleaming Sword of Truth at Maleficent’s chest. “Thump, thump, thump, thump.” Maleficent could hear her heart beating seconds before the blow came. She closed her eyes and awaited the inevitable, though her mind was full of the promise she'd just made to Hades, and the thought she would never get to fulfill it.