A New Track part three

Chapter 9

The next few weeks passed in a blur. Spring turned into early summer, and the department got busier as more holiday makers arrived. An international surfing competition, in Newquay at the beginning of June, had pushed the staff to the limits, as casualty after casualty had come through the doors. Madeline explained that things would get busier as the summer progressed. Cornwall was a tourist haven and there would be regattas and events all summer long, keeping them busy.

As their friendship developed, Alec and Madeline discovered they had a lot in common. They spent several enjoyable evenings discussing classic movies from Hollywood's golden age. They even went to see a showing of Casablanca, at the local Odeon. While helping Alec unpack, Madeline discovered that he was a musician, when she found his cello. She spent the next week begging him to play. When he finally agreed, she was moved to tears by his beautiful interpretation of Elgar's cello concerto.

On rare days off together they explored Cornwall. Walking or cycling around coastal villages. One Saturday they had cycled the camel trail all 17 miles from Bodmin to Padstow. The trail followed the path of the camel river along what had once been a railway line. Cornwall County Council, in a piece of inspired and enlightened enterprise, had converted the overgrown railway track into a cycle trail. Once in Padstow they had laughed at the tourist queuing to buy fish and chips from Rick Stein's fish and chip shop. As if they tasted better from there! They had spent a happy afternoon exploring the harbour and town of Padstow or Padstein, as Madeline said the locals sarcastically called it, after famous chief Rick who had seemly taken over.

Alec had been going to counselling regularly and although it was early days, he did feel he was coming to terms with the events that had led to his leaving London. On returning to work he had spoken frankly to Bill Arthur, the senior consultant, about his collapse. After all, as he explained to Madeline it was not fair to anyone, least of all her if he carried on as he had been doing.

One evening in early June the department met for its monthly staff meeting.

"The final item on the agenda today is the department's annual fund raising day for the RNLI. So I am going to hand over to the mistress of mayhem for the day, but before I do I would like to beg her to be gentle when she sets the consultants charity challenge. I have not recovered from the French Maids last year. My legs were not designed for black fishnet stockings," Bill Arthur said with a laugh.

"Thank you Bill, I thought you looked very sexy in the stockings. For the benefit of the new members of staff every year the department holds a charity day for the RNLI. As most of you know my Dad is the Coxswain on the Falmouth life boat, so this charity is close to my heart. This year it's been decided to have a Hawaiian Luau. Gentleman dress code is Hawaiian shirts, the more gaudy the better. Ladies sarongs or grass skirts. The Consultant's challenge is to dress up in grass skirts and bikini tops and dance to the Elvis Classic, Rock a Hula. Nurse's challenge is to dress up as the Baywatch girls and Dan has volunteered to be Pamela Anderson!"

"Volunteered! More like she used extreme force until I agreed," the staff nurse protested.

Laughter rippled round the room.

Alec sat listening as the discussion turned to the practicalities of organising the Luau. This group of people never failed to amaze him. In 15 years of working in the NHS he had never worked in a team like this one. His glance strayed to Madeline, and you are the reason he thought. You are the glue that holds us together.

The meeting broke about 8pm.

"Alec we're going to the Peachtree, are you joining us?" Dan asked.

The old Alec would have said no, he would have used work as an excuse. Four weeks of counselling had made him realise the benefits of relaxation.

"Sounds good, I will join you in a minute, I just need a quick word with Madeline."