A New Track part two

Chapter 5

Time moved on Madeline reflected and April became May. Holiday makers had arrived and A&E was as busy as ever. Even now she could here Alec’s deep calm voice reassure a toddler who had been cut playing in a rock pool. Alec. He had been everything and more than was expected of him. He was a truly gifted Doctor. He had indeed she suspected, been born great. He seemed at times to be working on a different level and at different speed to everybody around him. Unlike many gifted people he was without conceit or arrogance in fact he was she acknowledged rather humble. He had a deep love for his work and he gave willingly of himself spending time teaching and assisting junior staff. He had gain their trust and she suspected they would go to the ends of the earth for him. He was open and friendly with all the team, accept her, with her he was polite and formal. If others noticed they wisely kept there own council.

There had been no repeat of the incident in April but Madeline remained deeply concerned. For those who are great comes tremendous responsibility and with responsibility comes a huge amount of stress. Madeline believed that you had to recognise this and manage it, to prevent burn out. Alec never seemed to switch off and unwind. He never had friends to his home or enjoyed the garden and Madeline had noticed he burned the midnight oil long into the night.

The only place that he apparently switched off from work was the Gym. The Royal Truro Hospital was situated next door to the leisure centre and Alec like many had joined the gym there. Madeline should have been relieved that he had an outlet from the stress of work. Indeed she had been relieved when she had seen him enter the leisure centre but what she had witnessed worried her greatly.

Alec had seemed oblivious to everyone and everything. He was as focused here as he was at work. Madeline had watched in fascination as he began to workout. Who wouldn’t? The man was a supreme specimen in his prime. However fascination soon turned to horror at how much he was pushing himself, this was not exercise and relaxation it was punishment. What demons haunted this man and what should she do about them.

It had been two weeks since she had seen him at the gym and she was still undecided on what to do. His work was exceptional, did she have grounds to justify her worries?

She was brought out of her contemplations by the emergency phone ringing. Picking it up she calmly took the details. Others had gathered at the sound of the telephone.

‘Major RTA on the A30 we are to expect at least 10 casualties. Paramedics are requesting medics at the scene. That’s you and me Dr Track. Dan speak to the site manager and get as many cubicles clear as you can. ETA for first casualties 15 minutes.’

Madeline grabbed two coats from the changing rooms and picked up the keys to the ambulance car which was parked at the hospital to transfer medics directly to the scene of an accident.

‘ Do you want me to drive?’ she asked as they approached the car.

‘Yeah you will know the roads better than me.’

Madeline drove confidently. Alec wondered if there was anything she did not do well. The staff jokingly called her wonder women and it was not hard to see why.

They arrived at the scene of the accident a lorry had obviously tipped on its side and several other vehicles had also been involved. Madeline explained this was a common accident as there was a strong cross wind on the A30.

The paramedic coordinating the rescue led them to the lorry.

‘Driver's unconscious and he has decreased air entry on the right side of his chest. His blood pressure is down to 80/40, IV access has been established.’

‘Chest drain kit Madeline please.’ said Alec as he moved towards the overturned cab. Time was of the essence, in any major trauma the quicker the medical intervention took place the greater the chance of a successful outcome for the patient.