Wilt ~ Chapter two.

Chapter two

I slowly walked into the house, it was quiet. Everyone must be upstairs checking on grandpa.

Setting my suitcases on the floor I went to the kitchen to get something to drink, The fridge had very few continents; a lemon, a jar of mustard and a big slice of goats cheese. I removed some ice cubes from the fridge and put them in my water, My forehead was burning and I felt like taking a dip in the cool water.

I shut the fridge and turn around when I felt Icy cold wind brushing against my pale arms. I must have forgotten to shut the door.

I took a sip while talking to the front door but it was shut.

‘’Ellie..’’ I heard a whisper.

I spun around to see her standing there, Susan, my grandmother, the one that died in a terrible accident. She looked different, her skin was a light blue colour and her hair was dripping wet. The clothes had stains of blood on it. She stared into my eyes while raising her hand to point at me.  I let out a scream while dropping the glass of water onto the polished floor, then my body just let me go and I fell into a black hole of unconsciousness.

~

I blinked. Everything was blurry around me then in few seconds I could see the room clearly again.  Nathan was sitting on a chair playing a game on his phone. His hair was messy now and his white shirt had blood stains on it. I tried to stand up and then I noticed a bandage around my hand, I must have hurt myself while I was falling down.

‘Don’t stand up yet, you might fall again and then we would have to drive you to the hospital and my shirt would get even messier’ he said as he rose from the chair and walked towards me.

I stood up and then I lost my balance and fell down on the couch again. I felt sick and dizzy.

‘I told you not to stand up, do you ever listen?’

I shot a stare at him.

‘I don’t, do you ever stop being so annoying, you think you can just take Robbie away from me, You know it’s my dog too?’  I said but the least I cared about right now is who gets to keep Robin, The dog liked freedom and Nathan probably walked him every day whereas me I would just let him out in the backyard and ignore him for the rest of the day.

‘Calm down, I never had the intention of keeping him, I was only taking care of him until someone in this house could take care of him and Matthew, anyways I will let your mother know that you’re finally awake.’

I watched him walk away. He slammed the door but I don’t think it was intentional. I’ve been here for only few hours and I already managed to hurt myself and fall into an argument with someone. I tried to cross my arms but it hurt so I decided not to. The couch was uncomfortable and the leather made my body stick to it.

My mother rushed into the room, her facial expression was the same when we found out about the accident.

‘Honey, how are you feeling?’ she asked while biting on her lip and rubbing her sweaty palms against her boot cut jeans.

‘I’m fine, thank you. Can I go see grandpa now?’ I shifted my eyes across the room but I couldn’t stare at one place and looking in my mother’s eyes was uncomfortable so I looked at my blue socks and tried to count the daisies printed on it.

‘I’m afraid that you can’t right now, its 4AM, You were unconscious for hours. Darling what happened? We heard a scream and when we rushed downstairs you were beside the main door lying on top of broken glass. Nathan had to carry you to the nearest place where we could put you down’

I couldn’t tell her the truth. She would think I’m crazy. Everyone would think I’m crazy.

‘I saw a mouse and fainted, nothing happened Mum.’

‘A mouse? This house hasn’t had any mice since I’ve lived here. I guess the place is really old now; I’ll make sure to put some traps around the house. Now go upstairs and the room straight to your left is yours, you won’t miss it.’

She kissed my forehead and helped me up. I slowly walked up the stairs dreading to see what I saw again. I opened the door to my new room; few of my boxes were resting in the corner waiting till they would be opened. I slipped into my bed and looked at the white ceiling. Suddenly my eyelids became heavy so I closed them and fell asleep.

~

The sun shone in my eyes so I got up to close the curtains but by the time I was done I was no longer sleepy.  I changed into shorts and a large white tee and without thinking I went outside for a walk.

When I arrived yesterday the place felt like it wasn’t alive anymore but now the place lighted up in my eyes. I walked down the hill to the lake; I bent down and touched the cold water. The water was dark and I could see my reflection in it. I was a complete mess.

‘It’s beautiful isn’t it?’ A girl’s voice said behind me.

I turned around to see a girl sitting on the hill and playing with some flowers. She was the opposite of what I look like, She was tall and the sun touched her light blonde hair and made it glow.

‘I wouldn’t say it’s beautiful’ I replied.

‘Why not?’

‘Because it’s dark and scary, you don’t know what’s in there.’

‘Mysterious things are beautiful.’ She stood up and walked in my direction. I looked at her hands covered in bruises but I knew that asking her where she got them from would invade her privacy and I didn’t know her well enough to ask private questions.

‘I’m Kate, I guess you’re Ellie. The whole town is talking about you already.’

The whole town. Great. This was just what I needed right now.  I let out a small sigh.

‘Why would the whole town be talking about me, no one even knows me yet.’

She laughed. Her laugh was just like her appearance. Perfect.

‘You’re Matthew’s granddaughter, of course everyone knows you and after what happened your name just went around this small town in circles.. c’mon, let’s go get something to eat and I will show you around the place.

I nodded and followed her to her mini copper.

I never met her before, I never heard of her, I never saw her yet I felt a bond between me and her. 

~