Chapter Thirty Two

Y/n POV

"Cut the crap." exclaimed the head investigator, "You've been going on and on about deduction and great detectives. Your friend there has apparently already solved the case for herself. Why don't you give it a shot and prove you havent been reading too much pulp fiction! Crimes are solved by through investigation, interviewing people of interest, analyzing the scene of the crime."

"That's what I did" I muttered to myself again.

"Huh?" asked Ranpo, confused, "When are you going to get it through your thick skull? Great detectives don't do 'investigations'. My ability, ultra-detection, can instantly identify the killer and when and how the murder was committed."

"I just pay attention like all of you should." I added, "Everyone is a suspect."

"Furthermore," sighed Rampo-san, "I can see in my minds eye how to make the killer confess and where the evidence lies, as if it's an epiphany. I am gifted after all."

"Given my line of work," responded the investigator angrily, "I know about the gifted's existence. But if you have such a convenient ability, why do my colleagues and I still have a job?"

"Right on!" laughed Rampo, infuriating the man even more if that was possible, "You've finally caught up."

"You bastard." he growled, tightening his fists.

"Alright!" I cried, spreading my arms and stepping between the two, ":et's calm down now. Why don't you give Ranpo-san a chance, mkay?"

I batted my eyes at the silly investigator and he immediately went red, taking a step back. 

"For me?" I asked.

He nodded once and I put my arms down.

"Thank you!" I cried with a smile before turning to Rampo and pointed my finger at him, "Be nice Ranpo-san."

With that I walked back to Dazai's side leaving everyone a bit in shock.

"Come on! I have a dinner reservation at seven and it's six thirty! My friend will be angry if I make him wait!"

"A-alright." stuttered the investigator, snapping out of his daze, "Since you speak so highly of it, let's see this ability of yours."

status: edited October 26th 2023