Chapter 87

Harry's POV

"I don't know what you're smiling about kid, you really think she's gonna be OK with you smashing my fucking face into the truck?!" Joe is standing by the sink drinking his first beer of the day.

"I'm actually not smiling, just happily sitting here eating my cereal. You want some, Joe, might improve your mood. You know breakfast is the most important meal of the day " I say. I hate this mother fucker.

"You got a pretty smart mouth on you, stretch!"

"Thanks man! Sure you don't want some cereal?" I could knock that bottle down his throat before he even knew what hit him.

Joe grumbles something and stomps out of the kitchen. A couple minutes later I hear the front door slam. I pick up my phone and text Grace.

*I'm going to get my tattoo u wanna come?*

I tip the bowl up to my mouth and drink the rest of the milk. I stand up and put the bowl in the sink, grab a banana, and walk out the back door. Lizzie is sitting by the back step with Billie.

"Hey Lizzie."

"Hey honey! What you doing today, you still going to see Clyde?" Clyde is her friend who does tattoos.

"Yeah. Trying to get Grace to go with me. She wants one too." I say, sitting down next to Billie. She lays her head on my leg.

"Does she?! That girl is perfect for you, Honey, and I don't mean just because of the tattoo. I saw she was wearing the locket yesterday."

"Yeah she loves it. She meant to tell you thank you, but with Joe being a dick yesterday, she didn't get the chance." I scratch behind Billies' ears.

"Oh she's a sweetheart. You have nothing to worry about with all that yesterday, Harry. I talked to your mama, she's furious with Joe. Planning on dumping his ass today." Lizzie takes my hand in hers. "After you get your ink with Clyde, you come home, OK Honey?"

"Sure, Lizzie. Something goin' on?"

"Your mom wouldn't say this to you, but she's worried Joe won't go. There could be some trouble and she needs you here."

"Course. Joe won't pull any shit around me, Lizzie. It's going to be OK." I feel Lizzie squeeze my hand.

"I wish she could find a good guy. She deserves that, you know? After all she's been through." Lizzie sounds like she might be going to cry. I put my arm around her shoulder and pull her close.

"She does. She'll find someone. I love you Lizzie. It's good you're here with us, for all of us, but I think you being here has given Mom some balls when it comes to Joe."

"Your mama has always been strong, Honey, just been hard for her these last few years. I know you think it's me that gives her strength, but that's all you Harry. You're the only decent man in her life and without that, well, she might've given up a long time ago."

Ok shit, why does Lizzie always chic out on me like this?! That speech just about had me in tears!

"Enough of this sappy crap, Lizzie! Let's go get Grace and all three of us will go see Clyde. We gotta find our balls after that fun chat. Let's pound a beer before we go." I stand up and Lizzie and I walk inside.

When we walk into the kitchen, Jess is standing there holding the fridge open.

"Hey, Honey, grab three beers from in there. We have a toast to drink to." Lizzie says to Jess.

"Oh yeah, what's that?" Jess says, handing a beer to Lizzie and one to me. She grabs one for herself and unscrews the lid with her shirt.

"Your mama's dumping Joe. Now she's not doing it 'till later when Harry gets back so you keep this to yourself, OK Jess?"

"Fuck yeah, Lizzie! Is it because of yesterday, with Grace?"

"It is. You make sure Jenna takes the girls to the mall, or something, this afternoon. Joe might put up a fight and they don't need to be seeing that."

Lizzie opens her beer and holds it in the air. We all tap the bottles together just as Mom walks in.

"Oh how sweet! It really makes a mothers' heart happy to see her two underage children drinking beer in the morning with their grandma. Let me get one and join you, because I'm sure I know what this is about." Mom opens the fridge and takes another beer out.

"Harry, I am so truly sorry for what Joe said to Grace yesterday, and I'm sorry to all of you for even bringing him into our family." Mom takes a long drink, then steps up to me and puts her arms around me. She's crying. Fucking Joe.

"Come on Jess, let's go get ready for our day." Lizzie takes Jess by the elbow and nudges her out of the kitchen.

"Harry, I should've listened to you about Joe. You were right all along. Is Grace OK?" She pulls back and wipes her cheek with my T-shirt.

"She's fine Mom. She knows he's an idiot. You mad about his face?" I take another drink.

"Of course not! He deserved that, Harry. Thank you for standing up for Grace that way. She's very lucky to have you. I know you're going to see Clyde today.. " I can hear it in her voice, she's afraid to be alone with Joe.

"I'll be back right after. Jess will be here, so you guys should go do something until then. It's going to be OK, Mom." I put my hand on her cheek and wipe away the new tears.

"Thank you, Harry. I love you so much. I just want you to know that I'm proud of you. You're really wonderful." Mom smiles at me.

"Thanks, Mom. You're not so bad yourself and you deserve better than Joe." I watch Mom walk out of the kitchen. Taking another drink, I see Billie come up to me, looking sad, and laying down on my feet. Jesus, I have to get away from all these sad women. I can literally feel myself turning to mush inside.