5. Saying Goodbye

On Sunday evening, I'm fully packed, and Mum makes tacos, with extra cheese, just how I like it, to celebrate. 'I don't believe it,' she gushes, 'you're growing up! Seriously, this is gonna be the longest time you've ever been away from home!'

I know it's embarrassing, but she's right. The last time I was away from home was in Year Five when we went to a nature resort for four days and three nights. A month? With my best friend (who currently hates me, but let's skip over that detail)? Heaven! 

Unlimited screen time. Unlimited allowance. A permanent play-date with my best friend in California! Going to a new school. Making a fresh start. Hey, I could even be popular at this new school. The Confident English Girl with the Red Hair. Cool, right? 

After I've devoured seven tacos (salad for me on the plane), Mum brings out Eton Mess, her specialty. 'I'm gonna miss you,' Dad says, digging in with his spoon. 'For goodness' sake, Melissa, how much meringue did you put in this? My spoon is actually stuck to it!' 

'Sorry,' blushes Mum. 'I was in a hurry and I kind of put all three packets in.' I smile. Typical Mum behaviour. 'Listen, anyway, Maddi. These are the rules. Obviously we can't enforce them, but... we trust you, alright? Okay. Bedtime is half-nine. Don't do anything just because Ally tells you to do it,' (you know Mrs Mayden thinks I'm a bad influence? It works both ways) 'Don't eat too many sweets. Don't watch too much telly - you can have forty-five minutes of screen time a day. Don't eat any prawns as you're allergic, remember. If you have to throw up, do it in the loo. If you're not asleep by midnight, you can read a bit, but not girly trash - you can read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Don't eat too much junk food. Don't put on too much makeup. Don't spend all your money on souvenir junk. Don't-' 

'Melissa?' butts in Dad. 'You're being a bit... well... military. Soften up a bit, okay?' 

'Yeah, yeah, I just want our child to be safe,' argues Mum. She beams suddenly. 'I was just getting to the "do's". Do have fun! Do listen to Charlotte and Daniel, they're there to help you! Do shower every day. Do be polite. Do say "please" and "thank you". Do have a good time! There, Johnnie, happy now?' 

Dad smiles. 'We'll miss you, you know. My favourite daughter!'

'Your only daughter,' I say, grinning, and rush to give them both a hug. 'I'll miss you too,' I say into Dad's shoulder. 

I squeeze into the only pair of pyjamas I haven't packed (a pair from when I was seven) that has a kitten on it, with a little speech bubble saying 'Good Night, Miaow A Lot' which I thought was hilarious when I was seven, but not so much now. 

'Goodnight, Mum,' I say, as she kisses me on the cheek, goes to the door, and turns the light off. 

'Sleep tight,' she whispers, and slips out of the door. The crack of light underneath it disappears as she turns the landing light off. I reach over and set my alarm to four a.m. My clothes for tomorrow are hung on the back of the door, and my suitcase is on the other side of the room, a shadow full of all my possessions. My room seems strangely bare. 

I hug myself. 'This time tomorrow I'll be in California!' I whisper to myself. California! My mind begins mapping out a sightseeing visit. 

I think suddenly of school. Mum contacted them to say I wouldn't be coming back for a month, as I was having 'school experience' in America. It starts on Tuesday, without me or Alysa. I wonder if the school will tell people where we've gone. Maybe our friends will think we've been kidnapped, or have run away. 

No, don't be silly, Maddi. Alysa sent that message on teenagescommuni.com, right? Everyone will have got it. 

Oh, no. She must've sent a group email, so now everyone in the whole year will know my username. Including the people I don't particularly want to know my username. 

I pad over to the computer and switch it on, logging in to teenagescommuni.com. Yep, I was right. 

You have 17 friend requests

EllaJ

SophieSmiles

OliviaOwl 

MariaKennedy 

Jade:)

KittyKat

LaraVine123

MayaNtreasures 

DoraDuh

Halle(homer)Simpson

Emeraldgreen 

EstelleWillowTree

KatieJackson

Kiera999 

TammieGregory

HeyeDawson 

ClaraSamson 

I click 'Accept' all. Immediately, three notifications pop up. I ignore them, and turn the computer off. It's already five past ten. Why are they on the computer now? Sometimes I think the people in my class live at their laptops. 

As an afterthought, I switch the computer back on and type a message. I select 'Everyone', and put:

Hey there, this is Maddi. Just to say I'm going to America for a month with Alysa. See yaI press 'send'. 

Thirty seconds later, a reply springs into my inbox. I click on it. 

From: 'MelissaBell'

Madison, are you on your laptop upstairs? If you are, you're going to be in VERY SERIOUS TROUBLE. Get to bed NOW. You've got an early start tomorrow. 

Guiltily, I shut the laptop down and slip into bed, closing my eyes. I'm determined to get to sleep, but no matter how hard I try to drift off, my eyes just keep opening. I hear Mum and Dad creep up the stairs to bed. Mum pokes her head round the door, and I focus on keeping my head still, breathing rhythmically. 'She's asleep,' I hear her whisper to Dad, and half an hour later I hear them snoring. 

My window is open, and just as I'm drifting off, I hear a clang against the frame. I spring up and run to the window, just as another pebble comes through the window, this time wrapped in a note. 

I unfold the paper. 

Sorry Maddi. We're still best friends forever. See you tomorrow! 

I look through the window, but there's nobody there. Alysa's bedroom light is off. 

I smile.