10. Confrontation

I manage to control myself and don't confront Alysa about it all day. We go to Disneyland, but don't join any of the queues, as they stretch on for miles. Ally doesn't do anything odd for ages, but when I stray off in the direction of a sign reading 'Underwater Films', she grabs my arm and says 'Hey, Maddi, that's totally babyish. Let's go hug Mickey Mouse,' and practically pulls me over to an oversized rat and coos, 'Who wants a huggy now, who wants a huggy?' 

I tug myself away, embarrassed, and excuse myself for the loo. But, once the Maydens are out of sight, I turn back and head in the direction of the 'Underwater Films' sign. 

The ones most prominently displayed, of course, are 'Finding Nemo' and 'The Little Mermaid', but once I've slipped past those, I come across a building, with huge letters along the top reading, 'THE DEEP'. Aha. Bulls-eye. 

There is almost no queue, and I step inside the building. The door swings shut behind me, and everything is dark. 

'THE DEEP,' booms a voice from nowhere. 'A MAGICAL, MYSTICAL LAND, INHABITED BY MERMAIDS.' A picture shows up on the blank wall, projected from some unseen computer. 

A half-hour later, I stagger out, non-existent flashing lights blinking in front of my eyes. Oh, no, I think. The Maydens are gonna be out of their minds

                                                                *

I'm right. Well, half right. Mr and Mrs Mayden are strolling easily along the sidewalk, clutching an ice-cream each and obviously elated (and slightly drunk). They were giving out free samples of wine down by the pier. Alysa, far from being disgusted as I guessed she would be, is casting around with her eyes desperately, holding on so tightly to her mobile that her fingers have gone white. 

'Ally!' I yell. 'ALYSA!' 

She turns, relief flooding her face for a split second before panic replaces it. 'Where the hell have you been?' she almost screams. 'Ohmigod, I've been looking for you for about an HOUR! I was out of my mind!' 

Mrs Mayden staggers over to us. 'Hello, dearie,' she warbles, then stumbles forward, grabbing hold of me. 

'Mum!' hisses Ally, red in the face. 'Just... go away, won't you?' 

Her mum, slightly astounded from Ally's show of fierceness, backs away and skips over to join Mr Mayden. Alysa turns to me, still flushed pink in the face. 

'Where the hell where you, Madison?' she asks seriously. 

'And what's up with you keeping all these secrets from me?' I say straight out. 'I never took you for a film actress, huh? And we're supposed to tell each other everything! Little secrets, okay. I didn't brush my teeth this morning. I didn't need to know that. I don't need to know that. But... Ally? Working as an actress? £500 an hour? You're not meant to keep secrets like that, Ally. I'm meant to know.' 

Alysa Mayden stares at me, nibbling at her lip. I've never been this angry before, and she knows. 

'Look, I'm sorry, okay?' she says in a rush. 'I know you want to be an actress, and... I didn't want to disappoint you. Seriously, you don't get how guilty I feel... like I've stolen your dream or something. I didn't want to keep it from you too long, right? I was going to tell you. Then this huge Disney job came up and it all kind of spiraled out of control...'

'Don't you get it?' I say quietly. 'I'm not bothered about the acting job thing, Ally - I'm really pleased for you. What I hate is the lying. How many years has this gone on for? How many acting jobs have you had? How many times have you told me you were going to visit your so-called cousins?' 

Ally nibbles her bottom lip for a while before answering in a small voice, 'Loads.' 

'Thank you for finally telling me,' I reply in disgust. Then, I do something I've never done before.

I slap Alysa Mayden in the face.

Then I turn on my heel and head over to her parents. 'Mrs Mayden?' 

'Ye-es, dearie?' she sings, spinning to face me. Her smile falls away when she sees my expression. She's sobering up fast. 'Madison? Is anything wrong?' 

'Yes,' I say furiously, 'where's the nearest airport?'