Chapter Three

“It’s beautiful,” Wendy mumbled, her blue eyes captivated by the scenery in front of her, “much better than what you described.” She softly chuckled looking at him before returning her gaze towards Neverland. Peter stood beside her with a cheesy grin, watching her facial expressions change as she took in her surroundings. “Had to leave some surprises didn’t I?” he smirked raising his right brow. She smiled with a nod before looking at him with curiosity.

        “Want to go a bit closer?” he asked raising both his brows, “a bit of exploring?” Wendy grinned from ear to ear, nodding her head eagerly. Peter’s grin grew while he nodded in response, “good” he said grabbing her hand in his. “Come on,” he began walking towards the edge, pulling Wendy in toe. Her eyes widened at the approximate distance between the edge of the cliff and her feet while her heart began thumping rapidly against her chest. “Uhm,” she mumbled, using her free hand to pull Peter’s grip off of her wrist. “Peter, wait,” she said pulling back using her weight and digging the heels of her shoe into the grass. Peter stopped at the edge and rubbed the back of his hair, “what’s wrong?” Her eyes fluttered from his own to the edge of the cliff and downwards to what lay beneath, widening in fear of how far down her fall would be. Wendy shuffled her feet and bit her lip, “I can’t go.” Peter chuckled, “of course you can Wendy,” he said grabbing her hand once more, only to be shaken when she pulled away. He looked at her with a mixed expression, confusion and worry, “it’s okay Wendy,” he whispered. Wendy looked up at him and opened her mouth to speak but was interrupted by Pan. “Nothing is going to happen while I’m around, you’re safe here.”

        Wendy looked up with a small smile tugging on her lips, “it’s not that,” she whispered. Peter grabbed both of her hands in his, rubbing small circles on the back of her palm, “then what is it?” Wendy sighed, enjoying the calmness his fingers brought to her. “I can’t fly like you can, I’ll fall straight down,” Wendy mumbled. Peter’s eyes widened followed by laughter, loud and hard enough to the point where he fell on his butt, clutching his stomach. Wendy frowned watching him roll on the floor crying in laughter. She pouted scrunching her nose, “well you don’t have to mock me Pan,” she grumbled crossing her arms over her chest. Once he calmed himself down he stood brushing himself off, “I’m not mocking you,” he chuckled, “you can fly.” Wendy’s pouty face fell into confusion while her lips formed an ‘o’.

        Sitting down on a boulder to the side of him, Peter pulled his pan pipe swiftly out of his pocket. “What are you doing?” Wendy asked taking a step towards him. With a shrug he held his index finger up to her, signaling ‘wait’ while he brought the instrument to his lips, playing a soft sweet melody. She stood with confusion and bliss hearing the music flow from the pipe as he puffed air into the instrument. Pulling his lips away from his pipe, Peter placed it back into his pocket before standing straight up, “just wait.”

        “For?” Wendy’s brow raised. Peter smirked his famous look, “you’ll see.” Staring into the distance, Peter smiled seeing a fuzzy yellow green light floating. “What is it?” Wendy whined, placing her hand on his shoulder as balance while she stood on her tip toes in attempt to see what he was grinning at. Her head jolted back in shock as her eyes focused on a small light fluttering closer to where they stood. She looked at Peter then back at the light, “what is it?” her hand gripped his shoulder. “Tink,” he smiled. “Tink?” she repeated in question. He nodded biting the inside of his cheek, “Tinkerbell.”

        “What’s a-?” she began then stopping midsentence when realized who he was speaking of. Whenever Peter would come visit her at the creek he would always speak of how Tinkerbell was like his sidekick and would go on adventures with him. The fairy met Peter, fluttering in front of his face with a smile before placing a kiss on his nose. As her little lips tickled his skin a giggled fell from his lips causing Tink’s cheeks to blush. Wendy watched the two with furrowed brows, eyeing the fairy’s actions. Tinkerbell fluttered in front of Pan whispered things into his ear, resulting in laughter acting as if she wasn’t aware of Wendy’s existence a few feet beside them. Wendy crossed her arms and softly cleared the back of her throat.

        “Oh!” Peter yelled into Tink’s face as he heard Wendy. “Tink,” he said walking over to Wendy with the fairy in tow, “this is Wendy.” He placed his hand on Wendy’s shoulder, “Wendy this is Tink.” Tinkerbell hovered in front of Wendy’s face with jealous and curious eyes while Wendy’s eyes reflected the fairies. “Hi,” Wendy spoke softly with a small smile. The fairy stared at Wendy then rolled her eyes; making her way back to Peter’s side. Wendy glared at Tinkerbell while she smiled at Peter; Peter unknown to their awkward engagement. “I need your help,” he whispered into Tink’s ear, “she needs to fly.” Tinkerbell looked at Pan with wide eyes, her cheeks turning red. Her head shook back and forth while the color of her cheeks darkened. Peter smiled his charming smile, “oh come on, she’s my best friend, do it for me.”

        Tinkerbell kicked the air with a groan before hovering over Wendy’s head shaking her body, allowing her dust to slowly fall down upon Wendy’s brown hair. After, Tinkerbell crossed her arms and sat herself upon a rock, smiling a fake grin at Pan. Pan smiled with a nod then grabbed Wendy’s hand returning them to the edge of the cliff. “Ready?” he asked gripping her hand. Wendy nodded her head even though her body radiated with fear. “It’s alright,” he whispered, “think of happy thoughts.”

        Wendy’s head snapped towards Peter, “but I don’t have to,” she said, “I’m with you,” her grip tightened around his hand, “I’m happy as can be.” Peter bit his lip smiling while his cheeks turned a shade of pink. Behind them Tinkerbell stared at Wendy with daggers making gaging noises whenever Wendy spoke. Wendy let out a heavy sigh in attempt to calm the nerves tingling her skin. “Don’t be nervous,” Peter whispered into her ear, his breath tickling her skin causing her little hairs to stick straight up. Wendy smirked, “I’m not nervous.”

        Peter’s face matched Wendy’s with a high smirk, “good,” he said shaking out his feet, “then away we go!” Peter’s hand tightened around Wendy’s as he threw both of their bodies from the cliff. A squeal left Wendy’s lips while her free hand covered her eyes from everything underneath her. Her eyes squeezed shut as she felt her body fall down. Swiftly her body stopped the fall, now gliding in the wind. Peter chuckled watching Wendy fly with her hand covering her closed eyes. Her face was scrunched up like she was preparing herself to be hit with the rocks beneath her while her hand pushed into her eyelids. Hearing Peter laugh, Wendy pried her hands off of her eyes and slowly peaked at him beneath her lashes. “Alright?” he grinned.

        Wendy nodded before opening her eyes fully. Another squeal left her lips as she took in the appearance of the small forest beneath her. Her gripped tightened on Peter’s hand while she stared down with wide eyes. “It’s okay,” Peter said, tracing his finger on the inside of her palm, “you can fly. Trust me.” Wendy nodded at Peter and bit her lip as she flew next to him, watching the tree’s pass underneath her body.

        Peter watched Wendy while the two of them flew in the air, grinning while he watched Wendy’s fear turn into pure happiness. She began laughing as the wind hit her in the face, brushing her hair back. “Where to?” Peter asked, letting go of her hand. Wendy ignored his question while panic flooded through her body in loss of his contact. “Relax,” Peter said flying next to her in circles. “You’re flying by yourself,” he mumbled weaving around her body, “see?” Wendy smiled in victory realizing that she was moving swiftly in the air all on her own, “I can fly.” “Told you,” Peter smirked flying backwards, resting his hands behind his head. Wendy rolled her eyes, “show off.”  

        “So where to darling?” he asked returning to fly forward beside her. Wendy bit her lip in thought, “mmm, Mermaids?” Peter chuckled, “knew you’d say that.” Wendy laughed as she focused on staying in the air instead of losing focus and dropping to her death. “Then why ask?” her brow raised. “Just to make sure,” he grinned and grabbed her hand, “this way, Mermaid Lagoon we go.”