Prologue

“What’s it like?” she asked, staring at the trees above her as she lay on the grass. His gaze fell from the branches to her, watching the wind blow her light brown hair around her face in different directions, “what’s what like?”

          “You know,” she sat up with excitement, hovering over his laying frame, smiling ear to ear; the most he’s ever seen. “Neverland.”

         He sat up, leaning on his elbows so he was the same height as her, brushing fallen leaves off his chest. “Neverland?” he questioned furrowing his eyebrows, squinting in her direction. A small giggle left her lips as she turned her body to block the sun out of his eyes. “Yeah,” she said pulling a leaf out of his auburn hair, smiling, “Neverland.”

          A boyish grin spread across his face as he thought about all his stories, adventures, he’s had. “Magical…” he said, thinking of his first time there. How he discovered the mermaids, followed the indian trail, and lost himself in the gardens where he met Tinkerbell amongst other fairies. He smirked thinking of the days him and the lost boys would cause havoc around the forest, creating all sorts of trouble just for a dose of fun and adrenaline.

       “What are you hiding?” she asked, eyes filled with curiosity. his smile grew, watching her wiggle in her spot, “nothing” he shook his head. “Peter,” she laughed, playfully punching his shoulder, “tell me” she pouted. “Hey,” he chuckled clutching his shoulder with his right hand, “that hurt.” His blue eyes stared into her pouting brown ones, not once blinking. The longer they stared at each other the harder it was for her to pout. It was impossible for her to be around him and not smile, he was the only one who knew how to bring it upon her face.

        Playing with leaves in his hand, he watched the stream flowing in front of them, “you never have to worry about anything” he finished. She thought of the adventures he’d been on and how she desperately wished to be by his side, experiencing them for herself. “Sounds lovely,” she said standing, dusting herself off. “Lonely,” he mumbled, watching her walk in the water, hopping from rock to rock. Cooled by the water on her feet and the breeze passing through, she closed her eyes taking in her surroundings. calm, relaxed, is what she felt. The feelings she searched to feel most but could only have when she was with him. he was the only one that could fix her, give her want she needed most.

         “I want to join you,” she whispered turning around, looking at him with pleading eyes. “I’ll take you there,” he smiled. She looked down at the water rushing beneath her toes then up at him, “Yeah?” he stood up with his hands in his pant pockets, giving her a small smile and a nod.

         She returned his smile and turned around making her way up the stream. He sighed looking at her with sad eyes, watching as she jumped from rock to rock. Rubbing the back of his neck, a small smile formed across his face as he thought of her in neverland with him.

          “Someday,” he said, turning around and disappearing.