Chapter 2: Surprised?

It was one o'clock when I woke up to open the front door. I walked down the stairs and right to the door. My eyes were red and wide as I looked at the time. I mean why would my parents be home this late??

I opened the door, and saw my mom. My mom stood there, smiling weakly, as if she had just fought with someone. My dad wasn't with her. "Assalamualikum, Zarah." She said quietly. I rubbed my eyes since I was sleeping my head off a minute ago. "Wa Alaykumasalaam... Mom where were you?" My mom walked in, grabbing my hand as she dragged me into the living room, without closing the door behind her, "Where's daddy?" I asked. "Mom did you fight with him or something?" I asked again. My mom kept quiet as she sat me down on the couch. "Oh, of course not!" She said as she sat down. "Your dad is coming... with someone you might not recognize, but don't worry it's all good!" My mom said. "I never knew being a mother to a daughter could be that hard" She said with a laugh. "Hunh? Did I do something wrong?" My mom gave me a confused look, "Uh... oh, you don't know yet... She's coming, she's coming. Just wait till you dad gets ba...ck" The door closed behind us, and I assumed my dad was carrying a huge luggage, because it sounded like he was dragging something behind him. I got up, and my mom grabbed my hands and sat me down. Nodding at me with a smile.

"ASSalAAmualaiykum wa Rehmatullahi wa Barakaatu" My dad's big voice boomed in the whole living room. My dad walked in, pushing in someone before him. Okay, so now I'm confused? The person was wearing black all over. Her hair was long and dark brown.... just like mines. Meaning, she obviously did not wear a hijab. Black skinny jeans and a black tight top with a bulky black sweater. She didn't lift her face up. I looked at my mom who was sitting down, looking at her, a little worried. "Sarah, meet Zarah, your twin sister..." My mom than turned to me. I stared at my mom without reacting. "Zarah, she is... your twin" Twin? .....Twin?....... TWIN? WHAT THE HELL?

"Zarah, show your sister your room, will you?" I looked away from my mom to my twin (Heck yes I'm still doubting it) My twin was looking at me straight in the eye. Dark brown eyes with a sharp gaze.

Oh, no wonder they reconstructed my room to look just twice the size. "W-What?" No wonder they had to put in an extra bed set opposite to mines. Ha! This all feels so fake. How am I supposed to believe any of it?

I was still looking at her straight when her mouth started forming words.

"Hurry up, I'm tired." The tone of her voice was full of hatred. It's probably just a dream. She'll be gone when I wake up.

"Uh, Okay" I said, still not believing it.

I led her upstairs and stood at the doorway, tired. She pushed  past me, and took the empty bed at the end of the room. She didn't say anything and cuddled up with the blanket on the bed. I didn't ask anything and just slept. I might have been looking at my reflection... no big deal.

Next Morning

I woke up to my alarm. It was almost fajr and it was still dark out. Forgetting about my reflection, I stepped into the bathroom to make wudu. When I came out and turned on the lights in my room. The girl was sitting up with her hair opened up, and spread all across her face. I was wide awake this time. "Uh... So it wasn't... a dream?" I asked myself quietly. She looked like a witch, and she was staring right at me. "What time is it?" She asked, a little cold. "Five in the morning" I said, examining her. Was she really my twin? I never knew I had a twin."Why are you awake so early?" I straightened my back, "Um, cuz I have to pray... and so do you?" The girl smirked. Her name was Sarah right? She was a little scary. 

"I'm not like YOU terrorists" She replied sharply.

That sentence smacked me right across my face.

For the first time, on this night, I figured it out; my life is going to be the most complicated thing on earth.

Before I could say another word, she spoke again. "Even if I was born in this household, I won't ever become a muslim. After abandoning me once, those biological parents of mine are probably gonna throw me away again."

"I don't think you're right... If you were abandoned why would they go through the trouble of looking for you?" I asked, "About muslims being terrorists you're wrong. Sure, some of them might have went ballistic, but that doesn't mean the whole ummah did." Though words were stuck in my brain forever. Many people insulted my religion many times, but all I did was wait till they walked away. This person was different. She was family.

"It's true I don't like associating with people, except my family and friends but that doesn't mean I'm plotting to throw a bomb in a country just cuz they're not muslims." My voice was raised a little.

"Whatever." She turned off the lamp and turned her face away, as she fell back asleep.

Jeez, it's not like you're the only one suffering...

A few hours later

I walked into the dining room and saw my mom watching some Pakistani drama. I sat down beside her. "I don't get it, where was she all our lives?" My mom turned off the T.V. and went into the kitchen.

"Zarah, it's been more than ten years since we lost her. When we finally found her, it was already too late.... She hates Muslims and she hates associating with them. But... that's only because she was raised that way. You can't blame her or her adopted parents."

"Than who am I gonna blame? You guys? How did you end up losing her anyways? She thinks you abandoned her." I said, as I turned on the T.V. and flipped through some channels.

"We would never abandon her. It wasn't like we were having a hard time with her. She just slipped out of our hands... when we weren't looking." My mom said.

My mom might have been Pakistani but her English never let me down. "Mom, is she going to my school, starting from Monday?" I asked.

"Yeah, show her around if she wants you to." She said as she started cutting onions. My mom never cried when she cut onions. It was amazing, yes it was. That is, until I looked over at the kitchen counter, taking my eyes off the T.V. screen.