Chapter 1: What She Doesn't Know Yet

Zarah's POV

"Mom!" I came home from school. No one was home. My dad was obviously at work but it didn't make sense with the fact that my mom wasn't home. I walked into my room, and sat on my bed, dropping my bag to the side. "Aww, my head hurts!!" I said, as I unwrapped. I looked around and the room looked much bigger. The window was extended since the renovation my dad ordered last year. Just why did he open this room up so much? My parents decided to combine the room beside me and mines together, and since then I have always been living in an over sized room with an extra bed set in the other corner of my room. I did ask my parents if I was going to have another sibling. They said 'yes' but its already been a year and my mother isn't gaining any weight!

What to do? What to do? What to do? I already prayed zuhr salaah at school, and I already finished all my homework at lunch. I took out my cell phone from the pocket of my bright white cardigan, and started dialing Aliyah's phone number. She was one of my two best friends and we always did everything together with Noor. We loved each other like sisters. I was half pakistani and half Arab, while Noor was Somalian, and Aaliyah was Arab. Even though my mom lived with my dad for many years, she still never got the hang of speaking Arabic like my dad and me. As for me, I knew both languages. I was also getting the hang of Korean, Japanese because of the classes I was taking. French was already way too easy for me. I was even learning a little Somalian from Noor. I decided since I was small, that I wanted to become a translator. But Now, it's just a hobby. My parents want me to become a doctor so I'm okay with it.

I actually don't mind working with people. The thing is... I don't really get along with children. Oh, sure they're cute and all, but... I'm like a monster to them. I hope my future kid loves me.... though I doubt it.    I actually love kids. If I had a chance right now, I would adopt all the kids in the world! But than again, they would hate me. Though I'm not neccessarily understanding of kids either.

 "Hello?" The other line connected.

"Assalamualaikum~!" I said in a creepy but playful voice.

"Zarah?" At that moment I recognized the voice. Sadly, mostly horrifying, it wasn't Aliyah's voice. Ever after calling Aliyah for the last five years, I couldn't tell between her or her brother's voice. It was Aliyah's older brother, Zaid's voice. He was a year older than me, Aliyah and Noor. I freaked out. Not only because he heard my creepy voice, but also because I sort of had... a very small....small... crush on him.

"Zaid?" I responded with my voice to the edge.

"It is you! Walaiykumasalaam! I'll get Aaliya. One sec..." I assumed he left the phone. What? Why? Ughh! My life. Believe me. I was like any other girl. Obviously I had a crush. But even if my crush asked me out I'd definetly say 'no'. Not that they would. Zaid took a couple of classes with me. He still does because he was missing a couple of credits. Since I don't really speak with boys, the boys might sometimes make fun of me. But if Zaid is there, he shuts them up. Everyone likes Zaid. He understands that I'm not supposed to talk to, flirt or date a guy, so he helps me in every way. Though I've never exchanged many words with him, I like to think he's not like other guys. He doesn't flirt with girls, only talks to them. That's what I like about Zaid.

Aaliyah got to the phone, and when I didn't say a word, she told me to wait. I waited, and soon Noor was on the other line. Both of them knew I was quiet for a reason. "Hunh? Zaid just talked to Zarah?" Noor said, after Aaliyah told her.

"Zarah, I'm in my room, and NOBODY'S here. Tell us. Tell us what you see in that idiotic brother of mines. Ever after your three year long crush, I still don't understand" Aaliyah said.

"It was only small talk" I replied.

"And that's all you ever do!" Noor said.

"EXACTLY" Aaliyah agreed with Noor.

After telling them, Aaliyah mentally barfed, Noor squealed and I blushed. I talked to them for about half an hour more than we hung up. I sat down to read some Quran. My mom still wasn't home. My mom never carried around a cell phone either, saying she was always at home anyways. I called my dad after praying Asr salat.

"......Oh! so you're still with mom?" I said. My dad was with my mom, grocery shopping.

"Yes, Zarah. Didn't you see the note on the fridge?" My daddy asked.

"Dad, I'm fasting! Remember?? Why do you think I'd go to the fridge when I'm fasting?" I asked in disbelief. I was making up for my Ramadhan fast from last year. Yeah, I know I'm late. But I still wanted to do it before Ramadhan started this year, which was next month.

"Well, wouldn't you need to cook yourself some iftaar?" My daddy asked.

"What? That's my mom's job... Wait, you guys are coming home late??" I asked.

"Yeah, your mom's in the doctors office right now"

"I thought you said you were doing grocery."

"Uhm, let's just say you're gonna have two surprises in one day. Oh your mom's out! Zarah, lock the door, and brush your teeth before you sleep! Assalamualaikum!" My dad hung up.

"W-what?... Walaiykumassalaam... two surprises, doctor's office, and mom's checkup.... I'M GOING TO HAVE TWIN SIBLING??"

Assalaamualaiykum!! This is officially the start, and I hope you guys liked it.This Chapter was Zarah's life before Sarah comes in! Sarah will be introduced in the next chapter, so I hope you guys will keep reading. I know I'm late, but HAPPY RAMADAN!! Jazaakallah to those who read, vote, fan and comment!  ~~Amna ^.^ ps. I'M SORRY FOR NOT EDITING MY WORK!