Chapter 5

Peridot's POV:

Amethyst's room surely was something else. I don't mean that in a bad way. Obviously, compared to the barn and other parts of the Temple, it was really messy. There was just something about it that seemed to ease me. Is it because it is something that she enjoys so much? Possibly.

I am still on the fence about fusing with Amethyst only because I don't know if we can. What if it ends up being unstable? I really don't want that to be the case, but who knows unless we actually do it. I have never fused with anyone before as I mentioned earlier and quite frankly, I am scared to do it. Once we fuse, our relationship might end up becoming stronger and we might be happier.

Thanks to Amethyst, things at the barn have gone back to normal. Lapis and I talking all the time just about whatever comes to mind. I am really glad about this because now I have someone close to me that I know that I can trust with my thoughts. I wanted to talk to her about the fact that I want to fuse with Amethyst, but Lapis doesn't exactly enjoy the thought of fusion at the moment. All because of that damn Jasper.

I have no clue what is up with me wanting to fuse with Amethyst so much. She has kept asking me about it even before we got together, but ever since we got together, she has gotten more almost pushy with it. Why is she even like this? I really care for her none the less. I felt a small smile creep up on my face just thinking about her.

"Peridot?" Lapis came up behind me and really scared me. "What are you thinking about?"

I jumped out of my chair and looked at her. "N-Nothing! Nothing at all that is of your business," I crossed my arms, "Anyway, is that all you need?"

"I just wanted to know what you're thinking about because you got all smiley for what seemed like no reason. Do you want to talk about anything?" Lapis asked tilting her head slightly.

This was my chance to talk to her about me wanting to fuse with Amethyst. I didn't want to make her uncomfortable by talking to her about fusion. "There is actually something that I want to talk to you about. I don't want to make you uncomfortable, though."

"Well what is it?"

"It is... It is about fusion. I really want to fuse with Amethyst, but I'm scared to. I know Garnet is a fusion, a good one at that, but I don't know how Amethyst and I would work. I want it to work well and I think it might... I just don't want it to end up looking like you and Jasper..."

Lapis paused for a second. She looked down at the ground and tears formed in her eyes. The instant she looked down and began to cry, I regretted asking her. 

I was quick to apologize. "I-I'm sorry! I didn't mean to! Did I make you uncomfortable? I won't ask about it again--"

"No, you're fine." Lapis looked back up at me with a few tears still on her face. "The only reason Malachite was so unstable was because I didn't want to be fused with Jasper. If I genuinely wanted to be fused with her, which would never have happened, Malachite might look... okay." She put her hands on her chest and began crying again. "Jasper made me feel like absolute garbage."

I had never seen Lapis get so upset before. I felt so bad. I didn't know what to do or how to react. It stayed silent in the barn for a second, but then I said, "Lapis... I didn't mean to make you upset. Please stop crying..." I reached up and put my hands on her face. "I just... wanted to..." I felt myself begin to cry.

We were both crying messes. None of us knew what to do. 

Next thing I knew, I was hugging Lapis and clinging onto her. This hug was nice. I was doing all I could do to comfort her in that very moment, but it wasn't very much at all.

A while of staying in this hug passed and we looked at each other. I still felt so bad about asking Lapis about this and I don't think she understood how bad I actually felt. "Lapis, I am so sorry about mentioning fusion to you. I never would have thought that you would have gotten so upset. I knew what happened between you and Jasper was bad for you and..." I began to lose my train of thought.

Lapis smiled a tiny bit while looking at me. "Like I said, it's fine Peridot. You don't need to worry about it. You were only curious is all."

I wanted to believe that everything was okay with her, but part of me felt like I shouldn't or that she was lying to me. I looked hard at her putting a detective look on my face. I was trying to figure out if she was lying to me or not. "Hmm..." I said putting my finger on my chin and inspecting Lapis' face. 

I could hear her laugh a bit. "What in the world are you doing, Peridot?" She asked letting go of me and letting me start circling around her. I was mostly trying to make her laugh and lighten up the mood a bit in the barn. I wanted Lapis to smile.

"I am inspecting you, Ms. Lazuli. I am doing this in order to make sure that you are telling the truth!" I stopped in front of her and held my pointer finger up in the air. "Ah. It seems that you are telling the truth. You are dismissed." I said doing a shooing motion with my hand and a bit of a smirk on my face. 

"What if I don't leave? What're you going to do then?" Lapis laughed some more as she was saying that.

I got a surprised look on my face. "I-I hadn't thought that far yet actually." My face heated up as Lapis got closer to me. She bent her knees so she would be on my level. What was she doing? I got very scared.

I was a bit relieved when all she did was just kiss my cheek. She was probably just doing this because that is just what friends do. Lapis tells me this all the time. "You are one crazy gem, Peridot." Lapis said as she began walking out of the barn.

My face heated up and I began to run after her. "I-I am not a crazy gem! I am a great gem! What are you talking...about?" She flew up in the air. Once she was up there, she waved at me. I sighed and waved back. Soon, Lapis flew off to who knows where. "She's gonna come back soon. I know it." I smiled and sat down on the grass and waited for her to come back.

When she did come back, Lapis had something. It was Amethyst. All she did was plop her down on the ground in front of me and left with a huge smile on her face. What was she planning?

Total Word Count: 1220