Chapter 1

Chapter 1

We Don't Choose Family

I stood outside of the bookstore called Flourish and Blotts, waiting for my three friends, and watching the chaos ensue inside the store over the 'celebrity' inside; I had a few words to describe him, and 'devilishly handsome' was not one of them. The four of us had agreed to spend the remainder of the summer together at the cabin I shared with my mum before journeying to Kings Cross Station where we would board the train to Hogwarts School of witchcraft and wizardry.

I glanced over Cass wondered over with Jackie in tow. " Do we really have to go in there?" Jackie McNeil, the Hufflepuff of our group asked, and I let out a sigh. " If we want our books, yes."

" How much do you think they'll be worth if we get them signed?" Cass questioned.

" A couple Galleons at least, if the person likes them enough." Spencer, answered appearing to my left, his hair was the color of copper today, while his eyes had taken on a bright amethyst. Spencer was a metamorphagus, though when he got embarrassed, or something, his hair color tended not care what color it was. " Though, they wouldn't buy it if they knew the truth."

" The truth?" Jackie questioned.

" It's all bloody garbage." Spencer ranted. " 'Gadding with ghouls', he stole it from my uncle. We can't do anything to prove it, because my uncle lost his memory not long after meeting with the bloody idiot." As he spoke, his hair began to burn brighter until it resembled a campfire, though it didn't look like he noticed all. " In fact, all those stories are true, they just aren't his."

" So...10 Galleons?" Cass questioned just before the door of the store opened and Malfoy came storming outside, but I wasn't to worried about him, I was more worried about the person who had followed me him outside. My dark eyes met a pair of cold grey ones, and a smirk crossed the man's face. " Dear niece, how pleasant it is to see you." He said before he glanced around at my friends. " Uncle." I said emotionlessly, drawing his attention back to me.

" You'll give my dear sister my regards, wont you?" He said and my eyes narrowed. " Of course."

" Come, Draco." He called before walking away and once they were out of view, I relaxed and turned to find my friends staring at me in shock. " Your related to that weasel?" Cass questioned wide eyed.

" Tragically." I grumbled in annoyance. " Draco is my cousin on my mum's side, and his father is her brother. " I explained and the three of them exchanged a look before linking arms with me.  Your family sucks, I can relate." Jackie said. The door of the shop opened again, and a crowd of red heads stepped out, along with two very frazzled looking parents, a boy with messy back hair wearing glasses, a large man with a beard just as large, and  young girl with bushy brown hair who resembled the two parents.

" Lovely evening, I see." I said to them and the boy with glasses grinned while the bushy haired girl ran to hug me. " Emrys." She squealed nearly knocking the four of us to the ground.

*******

After the shopping was done, we made our back to the leaky cauldron. " So, Emrys, how are we getting back to.." Jackie trailed off when my mother approached us from the corner of the room, her hood hiding her face like it often did when she went out in public most days. " Are we ready to go, my darling."

" Emrys-"

" I'll explain once we're back at the cabin." I said cutting off Cass, who frowned as I held out my hand. " Whatever you do, don't let go." I instructed and they joined hands with me before I took my mum's. There was the sense of weightlessness and a tightening in my gut as my feet left the ground, before I suddenly slammed back down. I looked over as my friends coughed and gasped in shock, none of them used to feeling, and let out a laugh. " Your lucky, most people-" I was cut off as Jackie then emptied her stomach onto the ground. " Never mind." I sighed before following my mother inside where my friends soon joined us.

" So, this is where you grew up?" Jackie asked looking around the living room and I nodded.

" Where's your dad?" Cass asked and I looked at mom, who's back was to us as she busied herself in the kitchen. She stiffened at the question and I went over to hug her when I saw the look on her face.

" He...He's gone." I whispered.