Chapter Eight

"Noah! How was work?" My mom comes rushing up to me and hugs me.

"Umm fine." She looks at my face and smiles. She never acts like this when I get home.

"So tell me about work. Anything new... anyone new....?" I stare at her long and hard and it finally clicks in my head.

"You knew Jason came to talk to me?" I raise my eyebrows at her and her face drops, taken aback,

"I...I, yes." She sighs in guilt. "I was kind of the one who suggested him go. To talk to you." She looked kind of scared by the look I was giving her. I was pissed, more than pissed. Mad actually. I never liked Jadon, never will.

"What do you see in this guy anyway?" I told her and she gave me a blank stare. Knowing she won't respond I said more. "Looks, enjoyment. Are you "in love"? Because if you were you'd be acting different and he wouldn't need you to tell you to get my approval. He would have gone it out of heart. And let me tell you this guy doesn't have one. I know you do and you can do do much better without him Mom. Trust me." I took in a big gulp off air realizing I didn't breathe that whole time. On the other hand Mom was red with anger.

"Look I don't need you to tell me I can't marry him anymore. I'm an adult who can make her own decisions. One day you'll be making one like this, without anyone's approval. So who am I to ask my teenage kid who I can and cannot marry." I stare at her, angry. She walks away from me into the kitchen, opens the cupboard that is rarely open. In her hand is wine and the other a glass. She opens the bottle frustratingly and pours herself a lot.

Not liking the sight I am seeing I turn around and slam the door behind me.