Chapter Five

"Hey, Noah?"

"Yeah?" I stop wiping the counter and look up at her. I try to look at her face, but she has her head rested on her arms, her hair creating a curtain around her.

"Can I trust you?" She wriggles around in her seat with head still down, seeming uncomfortable.

I furrow my eyebrows, "Only if I trust you." She slowly lifts her head up and moves her brown hair away from her face exposing her freckles. Her face is pale and her eyes are a slight pink color.

"Do you?" It comes out as a whisper. I swallow some saliva and make my way around the counter to sit on the stool next to her.

"Well, I think so."

"How do you know when you trust someone?" She looks over at me with the same pink sad eyes. I run my hands through my hair. A habit I have when I am confused.

"You don't have to second guess if you can tell them something or not. You just know when you can feel someone. But sometimes those feelings were wrong and that person stabs you in the back. Why?"

"Then I think I trust you. I kind of have to in a way. I mean you found me about to kill myself in the bathroom over there." She points over to the bathrooms and sighs. "It's not like you told anyone. Right?"

"Who would I tell? You are like my only friend really."

"I guess. I don't really have a choice to trust you anyway. But a part of me knows that you won't stab you in the back."

"Why would I?"

"Isn't that exactly what a back stabber would say?" She says harshly. I look over to her and shake my head.

"It's your call if you trust me or not." I get up, go back behind the counter, and turn my back to her and start cleaning the stove. We accidentally sigh at the same time. I smile to myself.

"I want to tell you something. I trust you by telling this." I hear her get up off her stool and come around the counter to stand next to me.

I look over at her. "What is it?"

"I think I like you."

"What?"