Chapter Thirty-Five: multiple

lol guess who's the queen of never editing anything she writes! this bitch.

*i know they did the lie detector stuff like a real long time ago but pretend it's more recent.*

Lola steps off the plane, hand in hand with Malcolm. their six-month anniversary was just last week and to celebrate they had decided to travel up north to Lola's hometown Vancouver, Canada in order to get sometime away- and also so Malcolm could meet her family. She felt the familiar feeling of nostalgia wash over her as they navigated their way through YVR's bustling corridors.   

'Where are we meeting them?'

he asks, his hand is clammy in hers and she knows he is nervous.

'they said they would be waiting by the baggage terminal--'

'oh my god! are you Lola Beaumont?!'

a girl, no more then fifteen with freckly cheeks and a 'lost in translation.' t-shirt approaches them.

'I am she.'

Lola blushes bashfully.

'Oh my god I love you so much! and you're Malcolm! you guys are so cute together!'

'thank you.'

Malcolm grins. 

'is there anyway i could get a picture?'

she asks nervously.

'Yeah of course.'

the girl passes her phone to her mother who stood close behind while Malcolm and Lola stand on either side of the girl, plastering smiles on their jet lagged faces. 

'thank you so much!'

the girl beams. 

'it was our pleasure.'

Lola smiles back at the girl before turning and continuing to fight her way through the throng of fellow travelers.

'she was cute.'

Lola says swinging their arms. Malcolm nods in agreement.

'you excited to meet my parents?'

she jokes. 

'Fuck no.'

he breaths a nervous laugh.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

   Everything- as Lola expected had been completely fine. her parents and sibling loved Malcolm and she was sure he felt the same about them too.

'Are you sure you don't want to go out with all your old high school friends tonight?'

Malcolm asks as they set up the pull out couch. 

'No, i'm tired. I'm good to just have a night in with you.'

she yawns, throwing two pillows down on the mattress. 

'Sounds good to me.'

Malcolm smiles, leaning over the couch to kiss her lips.  

'I love you.'

he mumbles against her lips. 

'I love you too.' 

they pull apart as Lola's mother, Mary-Anne pokes her head into the living room. 

'Goodnight you two.'

she says. 

'oh, are you and dad turning in?'

Lola asks. 

'yes, I'm afraid I can't stay up past  10 pm anymore.'

she laughs, 

'goodnight my love, goodnight Malcolm.'

'goodnight mom.'

'goodnight Mrs. Beaumont.'

Lola's mother flicks off the living room light before retreating back upstairs. 

'I'm tired too.'

Malcolm yawns, laying down on the bed. she ruffles his hair. and he mumbles something illegible. 

'I'm going to go take off my makeup I'll be right back.'

she leans down to whisper in his ear.

'mmhhm.' 

he mumbles snuggling into the blankets.

   Lola rushes to the bathroom, locking the door behind her before sitting down on the edge of the bathtub and turning on her phone.  All day Evangeline along with all of twitter had been spamming her phone with the link to Jason Nash's new video. Apparently something about her and David had been 'revealed' in the video. She had been putting off watching it all day, knowing that David was a sensitive subject for Malcolm but her curiosity was becoming unbearable. She just had to know. 

she clicks on Jason's video, fast forwarding to the part with David

he was sitting on a chair, hooked up to a lie detector test. Lola let's out a nervous sigh.

David: this is so stupid, this is so stupid. 

Jason: state your name

Zane: you're going to loose a lot of friendships today. 

David: uhh, David Dobrik

Jason: do you drive a Tesla?

David's eyes dart around the room. 

David: No. 

'Lie.' says the man administrating the test. David looks all the more nervous now knowing that he can't get away with lying. Jason asks him a bunch of other basic questions until he got to one that made Lola's heart rate speed up. 

Jason: do you have a crush on anyone in the friend group?

David: .....Yes. 

Jason: is it Lola?

David:....no.

'Lie.' David looks nervously from the camera to the man conducting the test. 

David: Jason, man, you can't put that in the video

Lola turns her phone off. fuck fuck fuck, no. waves of panic began to flood through her, although she didn't know why, it's not like she would be under scrutiny for all of this! would she?  And that's when Lola came to realization- a realization that was long over due. She liked David too, like a lot.