3: Secret Surprises

Jacquees

I sat in Naimah's living room scrolling on my phone waiting for her to finish getting Rani ready so she could spend the weekend with me. I heard a door close and I thought it was her, I was about to yell out for her to hurry up until I heard a voice. It was Dustin, he was on the phone whispering about something so I eavesdropped to see what it was.

"Look, Cam, I have this under control but I don't know about this anymore to be honest." I heard Dustin attempt to yell and whisper.

I don't know why but something about hearing that name "Cam" made me a bit uneasy. It seemed too familiar and put me in a bad vibe. I pushed those thoughts out for now to hear the rest of the conversation.

"Do I love her?.. Who Naimah? No!.. I care about her though.. Man, I know I owe you but this doesn't feel right anymore.. I have a wife and kid who I could lose over this!... $50 thousand dollars, that-that's a lot."

Whoa, kid? Wife? All of that mentioned money? What the hell is going on here? I knew something wasn't right in my heart about that dude but I didn't think it was that bad. I gotta tell Naia, man.

"Alright, man give me two weeks. Okay, she your's, clear." I heard Dustin finish off his conversation.

I hurriedly put my other earphone in and pretended to be listening to music. I rhythmically bobbed my head and hummed to the imaginary music. Dustin walked in the living room and stopped dead in his tracks when he saw me.

"What the fuck are you here for?" He asked me with a grim look.

"What does it look like my dude?" I asked placing and crossing my feet on the coffee table. "Daddy's home." I chuckled and returned his grim mug.

"Nigga, you wish. I'm definitely holding this down." He said stepping closer to the sofa.

"Yeah, not for long. You better watch yourself." I spat, standing up to him ignoring the height difference.

"Hey, hey, what's going on?" Naimah interrupted us placing her free hand between us to separate us.

"Nothing, babe. Just had to give lil baby daddy here a remembrance of his place." Dustin said kissing her neck.

"I know my place. Your man here ain't who you think he is." I told her taking Rani and the diaper bag from her hands.

"What do you mean?" She asked confusingly looking back at Dustin.

"Babe, nothing he's just jealous." He kissed her earlobe and mugged me again this time as if trying to figure out what I knew.

"Que, I thought we had an understanding?" She asked me.

"Wow! You really think I'm jealous? Please, Naimah. Get over yourself."

"Well, what is it?"

"Nothing. You're both right I'm jealous. Just jealous Jacquees will see you Sunday." I looked at her in disbelief and walked away shaking my head.

Naimah had her nerve thinking I could actually be jealous of her facade of happiness with Dustin. I was simply trying to be a good friend and warn her but fuck it. Whatever happens, happens. As long as my daughter isn't involved in it, it is not my concern.

In a few short moments I reached my house and Rani was in the backseat having the time of her life listening to music and giggling along. I gathered baby girl and her things and quickly headed inside. When I got in all of the downstairs lights were out so I assume she's upstairs. I headed up the stairs and when I got to my room doorway there she was sprawled out across my bed watching tv.

"Hey, you." I said to catch her attention.

"Babe, hi!" Aleisha greeted me with a soft smile, sitting up in the bed.

"Look who's here." I smiled, walking closer to the bed and sitting so she could see her. "Rani, say hi, Leisha."

"Aww, hi Rani." She cooed stroking her hair. "She's so beautiful. This hair and these dimples, oh my gosh."

"Yeah. She get her good looks from her daddy." I laughed.

"Right. How did it go with her mom?" She asked playing with my dreads.

"Man, it was cool until her high yellow nigga came home." I sighed laying Rani down in her back. "He had the nerve to call me jealous and she agreed like a little puppet."

"What happened for him to say that?"

"Babe, I can't say because I don't know it all but he's up to some shady shit."

"Shady like dangerous?"

"Man, I think so from what I heard." I ran my hand through my dreads in frustration.

"You think Rani could be affected?" She asked with an eyebrow raise. "You should try getting custody of her."

"I don't wanna do that to Naia or Rani. They need each other."

"You should consider it, it could be easier for us and you'll know for sure she's safe."

I just shrugged it off and lay down besides Rani. I gently rubbed her tummy and watched her beautiful brown eyes water as her eyes fluttered and she began to fall asleep. She started making her soft little noises and soon we both were about to knock out.

Naimah

"Hey! What's up, man?" Dustin greeted some of his former classmates.

He asked me to come along to some get together some guys he went to college with wearing hosting. I got stares from the men and a few weird glares from some women. I don't know what either were about but I brushed it off.

We had only been here for an hour and a half but the few drinks I had ran straight through me.

"Babe, I'm going to the restroom." I whispered to Dustin in his ear.

He looked at me and quickly nodded his head then got back to his conversation. I walked past a group of women and they were all looking and whispering. They tried to be slick about it but ended up failing. I just shook it off and continued to the restrooms. When I reached them I heard a conversation going on inside.

"Did you see that young girl he's with?" One of them asked.

"Girl, yes. I wonder what happened to him and Sasha." The other added to the gossip session between the two.

I gasped and covered my mouth. They were talking about me. I couldn't believe it. I knew there was a reason for all of the stares.

"Girl, the last time I spoke to her they were renewing vows. I wanna know, too!"

I simply turned and walked out of the bathroom. I'm glad I didn't leave my purse because I could call a cab to come and get me. Dustin had some explaining to do but I cannot see him right now. I just may hurt him.

I pulled out my phone and began to call a taxi while quickly heading towards the door. I was looking through my purse for my card and when I wasn't paying attention I bumped into someone. It felt like a hard chest so I assumed it was a man.

"Excuse me, I'm-" I began until I looked up and saw who it was. "Cameron...." I managed to let out before I choked up at who was standing before me.