28; everything

LIVE WHILE YOU'RE YOUNG

❝ LIVE WHILE YOU'RE YOUNG ❞

The sky was dark but lit by a canopy of stars. Everything below seemed more desolate than before, but the east side of town was never that lively in the first place. The sun finished setting thirty minutes prior. I'd been counting.

"I bet the west side's lit up with a bunch of different neat places. Bars, restaurants, you name it." I vocalized my thoughts but doubted anybody was listening. Everyone was gathered in the Curtis's living room, doing their own things as silence filled the room. it was a bit bleak without Dallas there. I could, of course, pretend he was out, up to his usual antics – but it had been two weeks already, and I knew exactly where he was. I doubted he could see the sky from there.

"Are you saying you wanna go to the west side?" Soda cocked his brow. I rested my chin on my arm, atop the couch where I could observe the night sky and everything below it. I shook my head.

"No. Just using my imagination. Wouldn't wanna be around that many Socs, anyways."

Soda shrugged his shoulders. He got up from his spot on the ground and ambled over, dropping in the empty spot beside me. He looked up at the sky. "I don't reckon it's that bad. Nothin' matters when you're drunk anyway."

I gave him a side smirk. "What would you know about being drunk, Mr. Sobriety?" Soda let out a deep laugh.

"Hey, just cause I don't drink doesn't mean I never have before. I just don't enjoy it that much. I like to be clear headed, you know?"

"Yeah, I get it." I looked at the rest of the gang. They were off doing their own things, not paying any attention to the side conversation Soda and I were sharing. "Can't relate though."

"Guess sobriety ain't for everyone."

I heaved a sigh and plopped my head back down on my arm. I closed my eyes. "I could use a drink right now."

"Let's go get one then." I opened my eyes and narrowed them. Soda had an excited smile plastered on his face, then nodded his head to the window. "Yeah, c'mon. Let's head over to Buck's. You look like you could use a little fun right now, and nothin's happening here." Soda jerked his head toward Steve. "Hey, Randle. Come over to Buck's with us, would ya?"

Steve scoffed under his breath but let out a bit of a laugh. "Another party? Jeez Soda, for someone who doesn't drink you sure do like to go out a lot."

"How many times do I have to tell you guys. I'm drunk off life. Let's go."

Soda shot up from the couch and rounded the corner in the direction of his room. I assumed he was putting together something to wear. I, for one, was clad in a jean jacket, plain white shirt, and some baggy black jeans. I wasn't dressed for a party, but Buck's wasn't anything fancy anyways.