03; not like them

BUT I CAN PRETEND

❝ BUT I CAN PRETEND ❞

I'd built an identity for Dallas Winston. I illustrated him as a malevolent being, callous, somebody with a sheer disregard for others. Maybe I was right. But as I observed him, stolid, I wondered if he was genuinely helping me, or just doing himself a favor.

"The hell do you want, Winston?" James spat as he popped the collar of his leather jacket. He was sporting tight blue, clawed jeans and a brown leather jacket agleam by the sunset rays, much like the one Dallas was wearing then. His brunette hair was combed back into stringy wisps, curling under his ears.

"Just making sure you're not bothering my girl," He narrowed his eyes and twisted his jaw, "is that a problem?"

His hand was lurking on the insides of my waist, his fingers dancing just above my hip. Gazing down and giving a toothy smile, he pulled me in close so our sides were pressed firmly against each other's. As much as I disliked him, I played along. James paused, realization washing over his features. Taking a step back, he sniggered, "you're dating this piece of trash?"

I cocked my head up at Dallas, my eyes apologizing for words that were not mine. He did not look hurt, but rather as if he took pride in himself, the way he was. He smirked and I scrunched my nose, turning back to James, "Yeah."

He shook his head vigorously and propped his arm against the tree, looking off into the distance, the orange glow omitting a flattering look upon his features, "don't come running back to me when you realize you're dating scum."

"That's funny, actually," Dallas smirked, unabashed and gazed down me, "I've never cheated, have you?"

"No, I haven't," I answered, and we both looked towards James. The corners of my lips upturned in the slightest.

I could see his face turn beat red in the dead of the night. Suddenly, he stormed from the tree and closer to the boy next to me, "I know you keyed my car, Winston. I'll get you back for that, you know. I'll take you to court."

Dallas paused before throwing his head back in laughter, "he'll take me to court. That's rich, man. Come on sweetheart, let's get out of here."

I turned my head and moved in closer to Dallas as we ambled off. I scratched the tip of my nose and turned back to look at him, leaned against the tree, not taking his gaze off of us.

"Don't look at him," Dallas spoke.

"Why'd you do that?" He licked his lips and smiled down at me. It wasn't a friendly smile, as well as hostile, and I wasn't too sure what to make of it.

He didn't respond. We continued walking until we reached the back of the house, where an old beat up car was parked on the yellowing, dying grass.