38; cruel

" THE WORLD
IS A CRUEL PLACE "

" THE WORLDIS A CRUEL PLACE "

I liked to believe I knew Dallas better than most. The rough side of him shone through, but I took the time to discover every single layer of his heart and mind. The bright redness overtaking the whites of his eyes and a blue tint falling over his cheeks, what once was already a lonely gaze turned to a desolate one when Johnny's body became lifeless. He was entirely empty.

I really liked to think I knew him. But once he left that hospital room, without a single glance back, I had not a clue where he was headed. I knew it wasn't going to be good — Dallas was truly capable of a lot, and he'd never been more vulnerable. Vulnerability scared him.

I tried to run after him, but after he turned the corner of the hall I'd lost him. He was too far ahead. I didn't stop. My feet pounded against the ground as fast as possible and didn't stall until I got to the Curtis's door. Dallas wouldn't go there in a million years, but I needed the help looking for him.

I didn't hesitate in throwing open the door and rushing in, huffing until I could catch my breath.

The boy's celebratory moods from winning the rumble instantly shifted as they saw my distress. Two-bit put his beer to the side and rushed over, his brow furrowed and jaw tightened.

"Somethin' wrong Holls?"

He didn't know that everything was wrong. I had to be the one to let them know.

I was interrupted with Pony following shortly behind me, quiet, his hands shoved in his pockets and his head lowered. He didn't acknowledge anybody, just walked slowly through the living room. He was off somewhere in his own head, so far deep in it, I wasn't sure he would've heard me if I called his name.

"Johnny..." I trailed off, for a brief moment, and saw recognition wash over their faces almost instantly, "he's dead."

Some heads dropped. Soda threw his chin back and covered his eyes, weeping under his breath. Darrel choked on his sobs and the other boys tightened up and didn't say a word, their expressions distant. They'd all lost something truly important.

"I'm worried Dallas is gonna get himself into some trouble. He couldn't handle seeing Johnny die. I don't know where he went." I tangled my hands in my hair and gripped it tight, the stress causing my veins to pump and my breaths to shorten. I tried not to think about what he was off doing at that moment. I tried not to think about how things would never be the same, not without Johnny around.

Soda noticed the tears in my eyes and my hands that trembled immensely and pulled me into an embrace. I wrapped my arms around him and shoved my head in his shoulder. His palm rubbed circles on my back until I calmed slightly.

"Let's go find Dallas, so we can all be together right now. Alright?"

"Okay."

We were one step out the door when the phone rang. My head shot back and I looked to Steve who happened to be the closest to the phone, who didn't hesitate in reaching over the table and grabbing it. His look was grim and he didn't say a word for a few short moments after he picked it up.