Chapter Six

After school, it was the usual routine of heading towards the library. However, Brett complained about being hungry and insisted that we go to get food before we head to the library. We walked to his car and got inside. He was quick to put on the same bands that we like as we drove to the nearest McDonald's.

"I promise you, we will go to the library as soon as I get some food. I'll even buy you food. Don't be mad." He begged.

"I'm not mad."

"You're not happy either."

"I'm not smiling. That doesn't mean I'm mad." I countered.

"Fair enough. Do you want anything? Fries?" He offered.

"I shouldn't. I have to eat with my family." I informed him.

"Yeah, but that's almost three hours away. Aren't you hungry?" He asked and my stomach growled. I did usually have a snack bar at the library and I did have one in my bag. But knowing he would have french fries sounded very appealing to me. But then, so did a cheeseburger.

"Yes."

He smiled broadly. "Great, let's go in and eat, and then go back to the library for research!" He held his fist out to me. I bumped it with my own.

As we walked in, Brett insisted I tell him what I wanted and to go find a table. He also insisted on paying for it. When I protested, he claimed that he forced me to come and would buy my food for me. After some time, he brought back two trays of food.

As we began to eat, with Brett scarfing down his food, I noticed two figures walk into the door. One was all too familiar. His brooding figure scanned the dining room and stopped hard on me.

The glare that I received was indescribable. His eyes narrowed and his jaw hardened. He didn't come over, nor did he say a word. My stomach dropped to my feet, and swallowed hard as I focused back on Brett. I stopped eating and began to pick at what was left.

"You good?" Brett inquired.

"Yeah, I think I just ate too fast." I responded softly and completely avoided eye contact with that figure.

We stayed for a few more moments before Brett wrapped up what was left of my food and brought it with us. "You may get hungry at the library." I helped him to clear the trays in the garbage.

I felt the heat in my back as we began to leave and I made the mistake of glancing back. The piercing gaze told me I was in for a world of hurt when I went home. I shuddered a breath while I followed Brett back to his car. My mind was flashing with various pictures of past incidents and wondered what would happen when I went home. It made it hard to focus at the library.

My mind was racing and I couldn't stop it. It was a freight train with no brakes. It continuously cycled through everything that had happened to me in the past. Every hit, every kick, every slap, every bone that has broken, every chunk of hair ripped from my skull, it all looped like a film in my head.

Tears began to form in my eyes as I waited for Tyler to get into the car. When I saw him walking up, I quickly composed myself. The last thing I needed was Tyler worrying about me.

When I followed Tyler into the house, my father was already home and waiting. He quickly entered the room as I shut the door behind me. He held a bat in his hands, though he had yet to use it. He preferred his fists. The bat was to ward off my mother and brother from intervening.

He grabbed a handful of my hair and I could smell the alcohol emanating from him. Tyler, realizing what was about to happen, took a step forward towards me, but my father held the bat out towards him. Tyler stopped dead, but angry tears began to fall down his face. I saw his fists clench at his sides and he heaved for breath. My mother quickly wrapped her arm around Tyler to stop him from moving. She closed her eyes and her lips began to move rapidly in prayer.