Chapter Two

The rest of the day was slow. I was focused on learning, and trying to not think about the words that Brett said and the way he seemed to stare into my soul exposing all my secrets for the world to see. It was embarrassing and shameful.

It was terrifying to be seen that way. I should have kept as much distance as I could from Brett Daniels. Who knows what kind of secrets will be revealed if I stay around him?

I shook my head and my thoughts away as I put my books away in my locker.

A body leaned against the locker next to me and when I closed the door, I came face to face with Brett.

"How was your first day?" Brett grinned.

God, could he be anymore attractive right now? I needed to stop. "It was fine," I somehow managed to respond.

"That doesn't sound promising." He frowned.

I gripped the book in my arms tightly, "It's a lot of school work, that's all." I gave a quick smile to reassure him. I swallowed hard, I felt so awkward around Brett. "Where's a good spot to hang out after school? I have to wait for Tyler's football practice to be over to take him home."

He lifted himself off the locker, "You could watch on the stands." The look of distaste on my face made him chuckle. "The library is always a good choice, though the school's library closes at 4 so I suggest the public library, which is across the main street. What about food though? We could go eat while you wait?"

"Oh, I have to eat dinner with my family so I shouldn't eat anything." I said without thinking. We? Is he asking me out already? We just met!

"Hm, the library it is then." He said and started walking down the hall.

I jogged to catch up to him, but followed closely behind. When he stopped, I froze mid-step. "Do you usually walk behind, or am I walking too fast?"

My mouth fell open and flapped like a fish. I didn't know what to say to that! "I-I-"

"I mean you're not short so your legs are fairly long like mine. You should be able to keep pace." I stared down at my feet as I felt the heat rise to my cheeks. Could I be any more embarrassing? Especially in front of someone attractive!

"Sorry," He apologized, "I'm trying to walk with you. Walk next to me, okay?" He said softly.

I nodded and followed next to Brett as we headed out of the school. He showed me where the public library was and I knew I would be here frequently.

I found a table and sat down. Brett sat down across from me. I stared at him confused. Why was he still here?

Brett glanced at me then, and reading my thoughts said, "figured I'd hang out since it's still your first day. If I'm making you uncomfortable, I can leave."

"No, you're-you're fine." I stumbled over my words.

He nodded and pulled out a book to read. I got started on my homework.

Brett didn't say anything the rest of the time. He was so immersed in his book that when 5:30 rolled around, I was already packed and standing saying his name several times to get his attention.

He finally looked up at me, "Oh. I tend to lose track of time and my surroundings when I get into a good book." He tossed the book into his backpack and followed me back towards the school. He pointed to the side of the building. "The field is over that way, locker rooms too. I'll see you tomorrow." He waved, smiled, and headed towards his car.

"Bye," I waved back and headed towards the field.

On the drive home, Tyler talked excitedly about his classes, some new friends that he made, and his football practice. His first game was Thursday and Brad's first game was Friday. He insisted that I have to go to both to support Tyler and Brett.