Chapter One

Picture: Book cover by RachelAnn08642

Everyday it was the same routine.

    Everyday, I woke up promptly at six in the morning and every night I was in bed by ten. This day was no different for my routine.

    The blaring alarm clock woke me up at exactly six and, like everyday, I get up to make my bed. I make sure the comforter is tucked tight, military style. Then, it was time for a shower. After my shower, I left my blonde hair to dry naturally into its curls. Only very light cover up is allowed, no extreme eye makeup.

    I pulled on my school uniform, and grabbed a sweater. I stood in front of my mirror. The uniform, of course, was a plaid blue skirt and a blue button down. Naturally associated with knee-high gray socks and black shoes. I'd never gone to a private school before.

    I stared into my mirror at my blue-grey eyes. I was bland and quite certainly, my eyes looked empty. This was the best it was going to get.

    I deemed I looked presentable enough to make my way upstairs.

    As it was six-thirty, it was time to wake my younger brother. Tyler was fourteen, while I was seventeen. He was a freshman, while I was a senior. Tyler had the same blonde hair, but his eyes were blue that matched my mother, Lyndsay's. He also had braces and seemed so small compared to me, but I knew he would get big soon.

    I opened his door and gently nudged his bare shoulder as he slept on his stomach. "C'mon Ty, time to get up." I said soothingly.

    He groaned, "five more minutes."

    The daily routine was important. Simon Dawson liked to have things in a particular way, at a particular time. It was important that the routine was followed.

    "No, Tyler, you need to get up." I countered.

    He rolled over, "Okay, fine." He sat up and rubbed his eyes. I picked up the clothes off his floor and threw them into his dirty hamper. Tyler got up and begrudgingly headed for our shared bathroom to shower.

    Seeing that he was on time and actually moving, I headed downstairs to start breakfast. Everyday I helped my mother with breakfast for our family. I had to put in as much effort as I possibly could.

    My mother came down already dressed and ready for the day. She smiled, but it never fully reached her eyes anymore. They were always tired.

She kissed me on the forehead and began to make my father's coffee. He was particular about the way it was made. She also made Tyler and I's lunches.

    The table was set, lunches made, and breakfast finished. Tyler came down and then breakfast was eaten as a family at seven.

    We sat patiently, waiting for father to come down. We couldn't start eating until he sat down. My father walked down the stairs tying his tie. He was always clean-shaven with a stern expression on his face.

    He didn't even say good morning, he took his seat. He began to talk to Tyler about the new upcoming school year, and about him trying out for football, and blah blah blah sports.

    When he finally acknowledged my existence, he said my name curtly.

    "Father," I replied with a terse smile.

    "The only reason why you have this car is so that you can drive your brother and yourself to school. You have to bring him home from football practice as well." He dangled the keys out towards me. "You ruin the car, and I ruin you." The threat was simple and clear. Chills went down my spine.