Simply Beautiful

Simply Beautiful

Wanya-

It had been three wonderful months of Damon and I. I knew I was in love and so was he. We text every night and always tweeted each other when his phone was off. It wasn’t a day that I didn’t hear from him. Well accept on the weekends. He went to spend time with his mom and sister on the weekends.  

It drove me crazy when I couldn’t hear from him; I always missed him so desperately and was slightly depressed. I looked forward to Mondays. This weekend I wanted to get out the house because I was too miserable. I hit up Sissy Pooh because it had been a while since we’d seen each other, although we text every other day or so. The phone had to ring a million times until she picked up.

“Hey heffa”

“Well hello there Stranger. I didn’t recognize this voice. I’m so use to a text.”

“Ha ha, don’t be that way. What you doing this weekend?”

“I was gonna find an open mic night, and then go wherever the wind blows me. I’m feeling free.”

“Oh well, I’m coming too.”

“Oh, are you sure you want to come? And is Big Daddy Damon coming as well?”

I had to sigh; she was always so smug about him now. “No Candi-pants. Just me.”

“Ok.”

If I didn’t know any better I would say that my sister was jealous, but she just had my best interest at heart. For whatever reason she wasn’t too fond of Damon, even though he was nothing but nice to her. She was always just so short with him.

Candice –

Of course, because she’s newly in love, I had to set up the rule that Damon’s name couldn’t even be mentioned tonight. She didn’t know that I’ve been doing Open Mic contests for a few weeks now; won first place enough to make it to a showdown between myself and one of the city’s most well known poets. If I won tonight, that was 5k in my pocket, and a chance to meet with a label to potentially write for some of the hottest artists today. Tonight had to be about ME.

I was pacing back and forth, taking deep breaths. “You’re going to do fine Candi, you’ve made it this far because you’re great.”

“Thanks Wanni.” My name was called and I gave her a quick hug, walking on stage to a thunderous applause.

I went for it with nothing but raw emotion.

“I want the type of love that will last a lifetime. The type that starts of innocent, a chance meeting. Suddenly growing into a deep friendship. Challenged by hardships and bullshit. You know, all that random ass “He say, She say”. The shit that leads to you believe that maybe what she said was true. And whatever he has to say afterwards will only be the lie that undoes it all. The type of love that makes you second-guess the doubters, talk it all out, only to come out stronger because of the hate and shit.”

I looked up and out into the crowd as I continued to recite, most were smiling, most were nodding… but then I caught it from the side of my eye, rolled my eyes hoping that it seemed like I was doing it to enhance the poem. “Thank you all.”

“That was Candice Evans, give it up for her!”

I walked off to the applause, knowing that I should be smiling but shit, what I saw hurt. And I don’t think I’m wrong for feeling this way.

“Giiiiiiirl! That was EVERY-THING.”

“Oh, I’m surprised you were able to listen while you had your face buried in your phone. Just couldn’t go one night without texting him, right?”

“Candice…”

“Nah, it’s cool. I’m hungry, you?”

She didn’t say anything so I shrugged and went to the back to wait on the announcement of who won.