Prologue

Candice –

I fought through the reporters to see a man take a sheet off my sister. There I stood in an icebox, fighting back tears as he waited for me to identify her body. Just as well I was in this icebox; I was cold from the world. I walked out to light my black & mild, something I had not done in years. I knew one day this was going to happen. As soon as he walked into her life.

I knew too much.

The only thing I was unsure of was what would my next move be?

“Hello Miss Evans. How are you today?” I looked over at the detective’s smug ass when he sat next to me on the bench I was currently occupying. I went to the first open and empty area I saw when I left the icebox. It was perfect. I didn’t care that the sun was setting. I needed to be by the water. I needed to be out in the open.

“Hello Mr. Coleman.”

“Oh come on Candice… My Candy.”

“Well you started it Rahj.” I finally lit my black.

“Come on Candi Baby. You back to these?” He grabbed for my black and put it out.

“Yes I am. Or would you rather I drink to stay calm? Huh? My sister, my best friend, is dead and it’s my fault because for the first time ever I didn’t fight as hard as I usually do. Rahj I’m lost.”

“Come here Candi. I’m here. You don’t have to be so hard all the time.” He held me in his arms and for the moment I was emotionally weak. I pushed away when I felt my tears rolling.

“What do you want?! Isn’t this compromising since you’re the detective on the case and due to the nature of our relationship or some stupid cop shit like that!?”

He didn’t say anything, and for a long time I didn’t either. I just thought. Memories took over and I started thinking about how it all started. The night that led to this.

(Over A Year Ago)

“Come on girl, let’s go this Cynt’s house partyyy.”

“Wanya, why are you always tryna drag me to parties and whatnot? You know I don’t want to be bothered.”

“Trick ya going, let’s go. Your clothes are laid out on your bed. You are wearing those cute dark blue and black floral high waist jeans to show that apple booty and that black crop top with the back out. Mmkay.”

“I cannot stand you. You know this, right?”

“Yeah girl. Now go wash your cooch so we can goooo.”

Wanya, my sister, is FOREVER trying to drag me to some damn party. The heffa just can’t comprehend that I’m a homebody. Honestly. The night life has never appealed to me. Although I have to admit, I always end up having a great time. Good drinks, great music, and occasionally some fine ass brother grindin’ against me made for a great time when I was in the right mind frame.

She, however, was always full of energy and LOVED to be around people. She also loved to make sure other’s had a good time. Sulking in front of this heffa was something you just didn’t do if you planned to get up at a sensible time the next morning. She’d keep you up all night, and still have the energy of a damn rabbit to get through her day at work.

I just hope tonight is worth all the trouble. For me, it’s one of those days that I feel nothing can go right. It feels like one of those days that is going to change everything.