Wednesday August 29, 2012 - 7:49 AM

I had some strange dreams last night.

I was walking through this field, wearing some sort of heavy fabric, but I couldn't see what it was. It was foggy, but just up ahead of me was someone that I was trying to catch up to. But I couldn't walk fast, because the heavy fabric on me was weighing me down, and I was also carrying something — something heavy that required both hands just to hold it.

The person ahead disappeared down a hill as I tried to pick up speed. Then, they appeared, even farther away atop of the next knoll.

Frustrated, I tried tossing the fabric off of me, but it wouldn't move, and I kept moving slower, but the stranger I was trying to reach kept moving farther and farther away.

Finally, as my walking slowed down, almost as if my feet were stuck in some sort of thick muck or quick-sand, the stranger crested the next hill and disappeared. So I gave up and just stood there.

I looked down in my hand. I was carrying a scythe.

I screamed, dropping the scythe, and tore at the fabric, doing whatever I could to get what I now knew was a shroud off of me. That's when I felt something hard pinching my leg. When I looked to see what it was, I could see these skeletal hands reaching up through the dirt and mud, grabbing at my legs, holding me in place. First there was one set of hands, then two, three, four. Then more. I lost count. The hands and skeletal arms were grabbing my feet, legs, my waist, pulling me down. I struggled to break free but I couldn't.

I struggled to yell out for help — maybe the stranger in the distance, the one who'd just disappeared out of view, would be able to hear me. But my mouth wouldn't work.

I struggled, helplessly, and then became aware that there was someone — no, not someone, there was a group of people coming up behind me.

"Peeeeeeter," their voices whispered in unison, the sound not unlike the quiet creaking of an old coffin lid being raised. "Peeeeeeeter."

I woke up as a hand came down on my shoulder.

Now what the fuck was that all about? Who was the stranger? Who was sneaking up behind me? The only thing I could tell for sure was that the hands coming out of the group were likely the people whose deaths I'd been responsible for over the years.

The freaky thing is that once I woke, I went for a quick piss, then got back into bed and slept like a baby. Not too sure about that. The fact that I could sleep after such a bizarre nightmare, well, that scares me more than the dream.

– 2 Comments –

Kim said...

You’ve been through a lot, emotionally speaking. The body's first reaction to such things is sleep. It’s the natural human healing process.

Rainy said...

I think sleeping isn't freaky at all. Something like that can be pretty draining. It's just a dream after all.