6

The proceeding day progressed without incident. I went by Griffin's room in the morning to see if he wanted food. What a stupid question, the answer was always yes. With full stomachs and the day to kill, we wandered towards the training rooms in the hull of the ship. Blowing off steam never felt so good. In between kicks and punches, we talked. It was aimless conversation really. The kind used to kill time but it felt good nevertheless.

     It wasn't until many hours later that we retreated back to our rooms. Heeding Berkely's last order, we called our families back on Andromeda. I hadn't talked to mine in a few months and they were desperate for news.

     "They're treating you alright I hope." My mother's eyes looked questioningly into mine through the small screen on the wall.

     I smiled at her concern. "Yes, they're treating me just fine." Not a word was said about the memory wipe that was scheduled for the following day.

     "Try not to get hurt," my father said, his fatherly tone suggesting that if I am, he would fly out here and hurt whoever wronged me.

     "Dad..." I laughed. "That's not going to happen."

     "It might, you know I've been reading-" He was cut off by my mother.

     "Your father's been reading those overinflated reports they're sending back to the planet."

     I pursed my lips, of course, they're making propaganda already. It's what happens when we make preparations to take over a new planet. Make the enemy look big and scary so we look good and powerful when we defeat them.

     "Those reports aren't true. The humans are too wrapped up in their own lives that the only threat they pose is to the turkey population."

     Confusion crossed my parent's faces. Right...they didn't study human holidays two weeks ago.

     "The point is don't worry about me. We've been training for months to blend in. They won't notice a thing is happening." I offered as wide a smile as I could to put their fears to rest.

     They didn't look too convinced and I rolled my eyes.

     "Nothings going to happen so stop worrying."

     "We're going to worry until you get home in one piece," My mother said. She looked more tried then she used to, more slumped. "It's our job."

     I nodded, my eyes suddenly stinging. This was a semi-permanent goodbye that they didn't know about and hopefully never would.

     "I have to go," I said hurriedly. "There's a last briefing I have to get to." Another lie.

     "You be careful out there Nova, but most importantly have fun. I want to hear all about your adventures when you get back," my father said and my mother nodded along in agreement. "Goodbye and good luck!"

     "Goodbye," I said and switched the call off.

     The feed shuts off, taking away my parents and replacing it with my own face. It stared back at me from the black screen. Tired eyes blinked. One, two, three and there was a knock at the door.

     "Shi-" I jolted not expecting the sudden noise.

     "It's only me," Griffin poked his head in. Apparently, I'd been a little louder than I originally thought with my cussing.

     "Since when do you knock?" I asked attempting to turn the spotlight of embarrassment off myself.

     "Since I knew you might not want to be interrupted on your call to your parents. I know I wouldn't what to be."

     Griffin pushed the door fully open and walked in. He let the door close behind him and shoved his hands into his pockets. I knew what was coming next. It always comes after he shoves his hands into his pockets.

     "Can I stay here tonight?"

     I collapsed back onto my bed so he couldn't see my smile. I was right and I was hoping he would ask me that.

     "Sure." I tried to make my voice nonchalant. I think I did a good job.

     Griffin moved towards the bed and I rolled over to make room for him next to me. He settled on the pillow next to me and looped an arm around my waist. It was the most comforting feeling at that moment and I relaxed, knowing nothing could hurt me now. His touch was like an anchor, grounding me to the ship and not letting me float away into space. His touch was the only thing that felt real anymore and I tried to sear it into my mind.

     I tried to remember how we felt lying there, our breathing in sync and quiet. I tried to hang onto this moment even though I knew in a few short hours it would be ripped away. I rolled over and buried my face in Griffin's chest.

     If we had died that night, I would have died happy. Alas, we lived to see another day.