26

We arrived in Bellmare not to much later. As we approached, the city grew out of the coastline in increasing splendor. Tall, glass spires rose above the building tops to reflect light in a dozen shimmering shades. Sunlight flashed in the windows of houses which were deep set in skillfully built missionary. Boats, both small and large, bobbed on the gentle waves along the docks.

The ship began to slow until we were crawling through the air. I pressed my face to the window and kept staring at the incredible sprawl of city before me.

The first few rows of houses were relatively level and now that we had slowed, I could see that they looked run down. Here and there was a boarded up window, a blanket pitched like a tent, or a mysterious stain splashed on the stone street. The figures that darted back and forth from the doors were clad in dull colored and ragged looking clothing.

Further back, the houses and businesses began to slope upward, like they were built on a hill. There were no boarded up windows to be seen and the people that wandered around were dressed nicely and they walked proudly, not darting around like rats.

Perched at the top of the hill, overlooking the whole city sat a large structure. Light flashed off it in such amounts that if you looked at it for too long it would give you a headache. But despite that possibility, the structure commanded your attention and willed you to look at it. It took all my strength to lower my eyes and when I did, the negative of it still burned in my vision.

"I probably should have warned you about that," Griffin said, his own eyes averted.

"What is that thing?" I asked, my voice awestruck.

"Its official title is the Council Building but most people around here just refer to it as the Glass Palace. It houses the council members, the entirety of the Red Star Family, and anyone that's a guest of theirs. Like you."

"Wait what?"

Griffin continued talking like I hadn't said anything. "It's the hub for all official business and since you're technically "official business", you're going to be staying there for awhile."

I just shook my head to stunned to say anything. That palace seemed to grand and untouchable for someone like me to even step foot in, never mind stay there. I went to look at it again but it was gone, replaced by the never-ending expanse of water. Hovering above it was a fiery orange ball that was sinking towards the waves. The wave caps were dyed dark yellow and looked like they were on fire.

The sun had just touched the top of ocean when a jolt went through the ship. The overhead lights flickered off, leaving the sunset as the only form of illumination on the ship. Griffin bounced off the bench with more energy then I'd seen him have the whole trip. Wordlessly he offered his hand and I took it while he pulled me up.

A new energy filled the ship as crewmembers rushed to open doors and secure the ship for its stay at the docking bay.

"Griffin," Val came into in room looking tired. "They're ready for you two."

"Thanks Val," Griffin gave her a brief hug and I echoed his sentiments.

"Take care of yourself Nova. I expect we'll hear great things about you soon," Val shook my hand and disappeared back behind closed doors.

I followed Griffin down the ladder we'd come up so long ago and back through the storage hold to the lowered gangway. Griffin stopped me before we started down it.

"Everyone you've had encounters with so far have been pretty nice. But that's all about to change," Griffin lowered his voice and looked around like he was afraid someone would hear him. "The Council and the Red Star family are some of the most ruthless, nasty people you will ever have the unfortunate luck to meet. They're going to test you and if they see even a sliver of weakness they'll tear you apart."

I stiffened suddenly scared to leave the ship and step into the alien world.

"I don't mean to scare you. I'm just making sure you're prepared," Griffin said sensing my thoughts. "You can do this. I know you can."

I bit my lip but nodded and put on a face I hoped looked brave. Griffin turned and led the way down the gangway and into the warm sunlight spilling all over the landing pad we'd set down on. I lifted my head and was greeted with the sight of many guards standing in two perfect columns. Griffin led me between them to what seemed to be a hovering car.

While we passed by the guards I watched them from the corner of my eye. All of them stood at attention, staffs of gleaming gray metal in their hands. Helmets sat atop their heads covering their cheeks and noses but leaving their eyes uncovered. Dark red cloaks snapped in the ocean breeze.

When we reached the car, one of the guards stepped forward and brushed a gloved hand along the side of the car. A door sprang open and Griffin helped me inside before climbing in himself. The sound of the breeze was abruptly cut off when the door snapped shut and the light from outside was muted by the tinted windows.

I turned to look back at the ship as the car lurched forward and caught a glimpse of Val standing at the bottom of the gangway. She had her arms drawn tight around her and her face was etched with worry. That was the last I saw of Val before the city swallowed us up.