Chapter 3

Dr. Lisa Rendern-------------->

--------------------------------------------------------------

Grim

FOURTH ECHELON HEADQUARTERS

"You could have been nicer to her," I told Sam.

"She needs to realize that I am not going to yell at her for asking me to take over her class," he responded. "Besides, it's not like she will be in there for two hours."

"She's respects you and is scared of you. How do you miss that? She gets this little shake in her shoulders and a slight waver in her voice when she's asking you for something. Do you seriously not notice it?"

"She has no problem yelling at me when she's mad," he pointed out.

"You don't scare her that much,"

"And I only told you he scared me because I thought it would stay with you. I won't make that mistake again. You realize I can hear you?" Abigail said over the comms that were transmitted to my headset and Sheila's and Fisher's SDIs.

"Sorry," Sheila muttered.

"So, do I have the CTA, the DFE and the CAC as my base connection or is Fisher just there to watch and see if I screw up?"

"Your first time operating in an urban environment in six months. These aren't poorly trained sixteen year olds given assault rifles. These are former Splinter Cells and Third Echelon trainees. You may know some of these people," I told her.

"Sheila, you seem the least concerned about me of the three of you, if you can hack into the turbines computer, that means you can get into the security cameras, right?"

"What?"

"I don't want to break into a facility that really is closed," she said.

"Guess you should have done a little more surveillance before you suited up." Fisher said.

"The last time I tried surveillance on this place, I had a sniper on me as I got up to the gate. They aren't messing around. Sheila, if you get locked out, I want my insertion secure." Abigail said. "And Fisher, next time, I will gladly send you to the gate to get shot by a sniper."

Abigail

POTOMAC RIVER

I swam through the waters of the Potomac across to the other side, it was about six miles from the Lincoln memorial. The waters were cold but I couldn't expect a sauna. As I reached within a hundred yards of the facility's back, I started floating and keyed my OPSAT.

"Okay Sheila, any time now," I whispered and dove under. Pulling a can of spare air off my hip, I bit down on the respirator and blew out before sucking in. I dropped my UHFS trident goggles down into position over my eyes and the pulse scrolled over my view. Ultra High Frequency SONAR goggles. A small emitter sent out SONAR pulses and they returned with the surroundings on a pale blue read out with everything outlined in varying degrees of brightness in the white, depending on how thick it was. Right now, I could see the turbine intake tubes on the bottom of the river. I began swimming towards it, ignoring the cold of the water and the fact I was slowly picking up speed. The SONAR emitter sent out new pulses every few seconds. I had a white phosphorous infused twine that I could intertwine around the grate to cut myself a hole to use.

I couldn't tell Sheila to go faster as I was quickly sucked towards the intake tube. Well in theory, SVTs were a combination of ventriloquism and whispering. I saw the grate coming up fast, the impact of the grate and the sucking force of the turbine inside would pull me through the grate and I would be cut into shreds by the grate, reduced to a reddish gucky mush.