Chapter 1

Abigail

FOURTH ECHELON HEADQUARTERS

                “Okay, Reichs, what do you got?” I asked walking into her lab.

                “The insane urge to kiss you right now.  This is a Tech Analyst dream.  I have an entire IBM Sequoia at my disposal.  Okay, I have a string of burgeries and break ins.  An EMP research lab in France, a robbery at a gas station here in DC, the NSA has a system crash, over a hundred former Third Echelon Splinter Cells and trainees were scooped up by Delta Force.  I must say, these are the best orders that President Caldwell has ever given us.  These are amazing.  A new divison, run by us, creating our own funds, with our training and the best toys in the world.”

                “Focus, Delta Force, The Army?”

                “No, a mercenary-for-hire company, they provide security for large companies, the private sector.” Reichs said.

                “I am not seeing the connection between these events.”

                “That’s the thing, there is none.”

                “Then why bring them up?  What are you getting at?”

                “Chaos Theory,”

                “What’s Chaos Theory?” Kimberly asked walking in.

                “Small, isolated, seemingly unrelated events that snowball into larger catastrophic events or large scale terrorist attacks.  What was taken at the lab?” I explained and then spoke to Reichs.

                “Nothing, a map was taken at the gas station, blue prints on the White House and the power stations to Washington DC were downloaded from the NSA.” Reichs said.

                “Why are you here Kim?” I asked him realizing she had no reason to be here today.

                “Some bean counter is asking for you,” she said.

                “Why didn’t Maryssa come tell me?” I asked.

                “Because your secretary is a pain in the ass,” a short man wearing a suit and tie with a bald head said walking in.

                “And you are?”

                “Some paper pusher,” he said looking at Kim.

                “Actually I called you a bean counter,” Kimberly said.

                “I would prefer a name if you want to get any respect out of me,” I told him.

                “Name’s Douglas Forrel.  I am here to tell you to stay out of this business with the EMP lab in France.” He said.

                “You find out quickly, we weren’t even considering it.  It’s too small of an incident to invoke a counter terrorism reaction from us, besides nothing was taken.  It was probably a couple of teenagers trying to prove they are cool.”

                “So, you aren’t going to go after the group known as Meggido?”

                “We are looking into Meggido, yes.  We have been tracking them down for a while now, however I cannot speak to what kind of advances in intelligence we have on them.”