A Hint of Magic | Chapter 8

Copyright 2013 All Rights Reserved

A Hint of Magic By Claire Chilton

8

Those Who Betray

Dora stared up at the full moon, clutching her trial in her hand. Loanda wanted her to retrieve the hacking device from Howard's office. Of course she does, because it will link her to it. The serial number on it would give Howard's lawyers a paper trail to find the real culprit. By removing the evidence, she would be condemning Howard to a life in prison that Loanda deserved.

She sighed and shook her head. She liked being bad, but she couldn't do this. It would destroy Howard's life for no good reason. Her conscience would not allow it. On the flip side, there was Jamie. She couldn't find him. He wasn't answering his phone, and she didn't know how dangerous or desperate Loanda was. She had to assume that Loanda had already captured Jamie. If I ever needed magic, now would be a good time for it to appear.

She stood in the dark street and shook her head. Magic is bullshit. There's nothing in this world that I can believe in. Disappointed by her own stupidity at believing in everything she'd been told, she scowled at the bag of powder in her hand. It's all just an illusion.

She frowned for a moment. Maybe illusion was the answer. She shook the powder out of the bag and put her mobile phone into it before tying the strings. She weighed the bag in her hands. It felt the same as the hacking device had. It looked the same as the hex bag. It might work.

She nodded at the bag and slipped it into the back pocket of her combats. It was her only option. She walked down the street towards the magic store. Loanda had told her that Jamie was there, and she was holding him captive. If she gave Loanda the bag, she'd get Jamie. Oh really? Then how will Loanda keep you quiet after that?

A shiver of fear shot up her spine. There really was only one way to silence someone, and she had no defense against that. I'm sure I'll think of something.

With an impending feeling of doom, she pushed open the door to the magic store and stepped inside. For once, the room was brightly lit with harsh electric lighting. Loanda and Jamie stood in front of the sales desk. His hands were tied behind his back, and he looked scared.

"Uma! What are you—" He silenced when Loanda pressed a knife to his throat.

"Did you bring it?" Loanda asked.

Dora nodded and pulled the small sack out of her jeans pocket.

"Toss it over here," Loanda said.

"Give me Jamie first." Dora planned to grab him and make a run for it.

"At the same time," Loanda said.

Dora nodded.

Loanda pushed Jamie towards her, and he stumbled before dashing across the room to her as she tossed the bag to Loanda.

She didn't stop to see if Loanda caught the sack. She grabbed Jamie's arms and pulled him towards the door, intending to make a run for it, but he didn't move. "Come on!" she cried. He didn't budge.

She spun around to face him, and he flashed her a wide grin as he slipped his hands out of the ropes and waved them at her. What the hell? "What are you doing? She's going to kill us. Run!"

He grabbed her in his arms and spun her around to face Loanda, who hadn't moved and inch. She felt his hard chest pressing against her back, and his vice-like grip around her. His breath warmed her ear as he leaned over her. "Stupid girl," he whispered.