A Hint of Magic | Chapter 3

Copyright 2013 All Rights Reserved

A Hint of Magic By Claire Chilton

3

In the Dark

"My name is Loanda." The shopkeeper offered her hand, and Dora reluctantly shook it. "If you wish to have more power, then I can help you."

She eyed Loanda, releasing her hand and wondering what exactly she was offering her. "How? Are you a witch?"

Loanda scowled. "We prefer the term Goddesses of the Light."

"What light if you dance with the Devil?"

"The Devil is grossly misunderstood." Loanda twirled the pendant around her neck. "We worship the good in all, even the Devil."

"How's that working out for you?" Dora asked, skeptical of the idea of a good devil.

"We've conjured many things from the shadows in our world. If you truly want to experience real magic, then we can show you that."

"We?" She glanced around, wondering if Loanda was just a crazy person that had several imaginary friends.

"My coven is the most powerful in all of Berkville. Together we will imbue magic and light upon this dismal world." Loanda's eyes seemed to glow as she beamed at her.

"Aren't you the only coven in Berkville?" 

Loanda coughed, ignoring the question. "The coven—"

"Are they here now?" Dora butted in. She looked around again, assuming they were figments of the woman's imagination.

"No. We meet at the witching hour."

Dora breathed a sigh. Wait, a real coven of witches, here in Berkville! She shivered again, but this time with excitement. If what Loanda said was true, then there was real magic in the world that she could experience. "Okay, how do I join your coven?"

Loanda laughed and shook her head in a condescending manner. "Silly child, you cannot simply join us as if it were a youth club. You must prove your worth before we will even consider you."

"By dancing with the devil?" Dora asked.

"By completing three trials.

She studied the witch, and a part of her brain was screaming for her to leave the store and never come back. There was something odd about the woman and her offer. But, she lived in a religious bubble, and she was frowned upon by everyone. Witchcraft was something she wanted to believe in. She didn't believe in much, but magic just had to exist. If she could be a witch, then she wouldn't be the black sheep of the town anymore. Well, at least she could curse anyone who called her one. At the end of the day, it felt right to be here. Something had guided her here. All she had to do was follow it, right? "What do you want me to do?"

Loanda turned and gave a dramatic wave, pointing towards a small door at the back of the room. The door appeared to be made of ancient oak, and there were strange symbols carved into the wood. "Follow me."

She followed Loanda towards the closed door, feeling apprehensive as the witch placed a small golden key into the lock and turned it. Loanda pushed open the door and led her into a dark room.

She squinted when Loanda flipped the switch and turned on the electric lights. In the center of the room, a vast pentagram was painted on the floor in what looked like blood. Black candles resided at every point of the star. A podium stood behind the pentagram, holding an ancient book that was decorated with sigils and symbols. Unfortunately, that was where the magic of the room ended. Surrounding the mystical centerpiece was a stockroom filled with boxes of mass-produced magical goods.

Dora read one of the banners emblazoned on the side of the box nearest to her. 

'Curse your boyfriend with a Voodoo doll!' 

Underneath in smaller text it said: 

'Curse-o-matic™ products are for entertainment purposes only and are safety approved'. 

She shook her head. Are you shitting me?

She glanced up to find Loanda studying her with narrowed eyes. She offered a brief smile that the witch didn't return. "Okay, so how does this thing work?"

"We must complete a dark initiation to imbue you with power. There are dangers, but I will guide you through them. If you are worthy of the dark gift, then your trials will begin. If you pass each trial, then you will become a Goddess of the Light, and the coven will welcome you." Loanda walked towards the podium and opened the grimoire that resided upon it.

Dora jumped slightly when the heavy book thumped against the wooden stand, and a thud echoed through the room. "We...we're going to do it now?"

"Yes," Loanda said as she lit the black candle beside her.

"What do I need to do?"

"Stand in the center of the pentagram and face North."

Dora inhaled deeply before stepping onto the pentagram. She positioned herself in the center, and then paused. She turned to face Loanda. "Er, which way is North?"

Loanda rolled her eyes for a moment and muttered something under her breath.

"What?" Dora asked.

"Just face the boxes of Twinkies." Loanda snapped.

She turned to face the stacks of indestructible pastries, wondering why they were in the stockroom of a magic shop. "Do you sell a lot of magical Twinkies, then?"

"They make great snacks after summoning a demon. Lots of carbs."

"You know that carbs don't do anything good for you, right?"

"Our bodies are temples that are protected by our power," Loanda said, wearing a serene smile.

She eyed Loanda's bulging belly, but decided to remain silent.

"Are you ready?" Loanda's soothing voice returned.

"As ever," she said, wondering if this was going to be as craptastic as it felt.

"Feel the power inside you. Feel the power around you, and draw it into yourself. Look into the world, and see the veil that covers your eyes. Lift that veil."

Dora stared at the boxes of Twinkies. The brown cardboard was dull to watch. She tried to feel power inside of herself, but could only feel her breathing. She tried to feel the power around her. Her surroundings were cramped and too warm. Beads of sweat popped up on her brow. She shot a sideways glance at Loanda. The witch was reading silently from the book. Her lips were moving, but no sound came out.

She stared back at the Twinkies, trying to see a veil over them. She tried to imagine inside the box, but her mind only came up with an image of Twinkies.

"How do you feel?" Loanda asked.

"It's a bit hot in here." She swiped her forehead with her hand to wipe off the moisture that had gathered there.

"You have looked into the fires of Hell, child," Loanda said. "It's working."

She frowned. Did I? Because it felt as if I just looked into a box of Twinkies.

"Ommmneeeeee!" Loanda cried.

Dora jumped when the room went dark. She spun around, but could only see inky darkness around her. "What the hell?"

When lights came back on a few moments later, she saw Loanda holding an ancient-looking piece of parchment in her chubby hand. The paper was folded and sealed with wax. "You have passed. You are now imbued with the dark gift," she said, waving the letter at her.

"What's that?"

"This is your first trial. Something you must read carefully. I cannot help you after this point, but I have imbued you with enough power to complete your task. Take care, young one, for this is instruction from the Devil himself. Do not fail him." She handed her the letter.

Dora glanced at the yellowing parchment. It was burnt around the edges and warm to touch. She felt a shiver down her spine. Did this really come from Hell?