Chpt 2: The Journey Begins

I awoke to the familiar whinny of Asfaloth. I smiled to myself before checking that I had everything fastened correctly around my torso and belt. I followed the voice of the wind, though as strange as it may sound to others ears, and jumped from the balcony, landing perfectly on my feet.

"Whoa there!" I turned to where I heard the perfect voice of Legolas, the elf from the Council.

"Forgive me." I apologised placing my hand over my heart.

"There is nothing to forgive, I was merely startled by you." He said. I outstretched my hand,

"My name is Arya." I stated simply.

"I am Prince Legolas." He shook my hand, almost unsure of the gesture, I will admit though, it was a gesture only performed by the men of this world.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Prince Legolas." I bowed gently, retracting my hand.

"Please, call me Legolas." He said. "Arya? Is that an elf name" He asked. It was a sure thing I had my story planned out for journeys like these.

"I... I'm not sure, I never met my mother." I lied, though this time it was tougher, I felt as if I were lying to myself, a feeling of utter betrayal.

"Oh, forgive me for intruding. I am sorry for your loss." He was so polite.

"It is alright. Many people and elves alike question my name's heritage." I smiled lightheartedly.

"Gettin' friendly with the girl already are we elf boy?" I turned at the gruff voice of Gimli, the dwarf, whom had approached from behind us both.

"Of course not, I was merely introducing myself." Legolas argued.

"Well then, the name's Gimli, son of Gloin."  He said proudly, and by the sound of it he had pushed his chest out.

"And my name is Arya." I nodded my head.

"I've never heard that name before!" He chuckled. That's because I made it up. I thought.

"Well I am only a peasant, barely anyone has heard of me at all!" I smiled.

"Well you be of some import to Lord Elrond?" He asked.

"Arwen and I have been friends since we were little." There was some truth in my tale.

"That would explain it." He stated simply. That is a perk about dwarves. They are simple minded and straight forward beings. I heard him turn and walk away. I soon heard the familiar shuffling footsteps of Aragorn.

"Are you ready to depart Arya?" He asked, the false name seeming to roll off his tongue with ease.

"Yes." I answered simply.

Soon enough, we were on our way, Aragorn insisted that I ride Asfaloth until he can no longer travel with us safely. I had to agree, for otherwise, he would have told the others of my secret and asked someone to escort me properly, Although, I wouldn't have had a problem if Legolas were to escort me. Aragorn and I had travelled together many times and he was aware of my situation and alias. No one else would be able to tell of my blindness, I have exceptional hearing and sense of smell and touch, and that is how I get around. I could hear the beat of a moth's wings behind me if I so wished. There were eleven other heartbeats with us, so that told me that we were travelling with two horses, not just one.

I sat quietly upon Asfaloth, whilst Merry and Pippin were talking of smoking pipe weed and drinking ale once our quest was over. However it wasn't their conversation that caught my attention.