Chpt 7: The White Wizard

“Their pace has quickened.” Aragorn said to us. “They must have caught our scent. Hurry!” I exaggerated a sigh and threw my head back. Legolas chuckled at my side and took my arm again, jogging off again.

“Come on, Gimli!” He called back to the violently puffing dwarf behind us.

“Three days’ and nights’ pursuit. No food. No rest. And no sign of our quarry but what bare rock can tell.” He puffed, following after us. I felt Legolas look back frequently. Probably to make sure Gimli was keeping up.

“Amara.” Aragorn called. I groaned and quickened my pace only to run into him.

“Warn me next time you stop in front of me.” I complain, rubbing my head.

“Sorry. Take a look at this.” He pushed something into my hands.

“Very funny.” I mumbled, running my fingers around the edges and over the small thing. “A brooch from my mother.” 

“Not idly do the leaves of Lórien fall.” He said softly.

“They may yet be alive.” Legolas piped from beside me.

“Less than a day ahead of us. Come!” Aragorn pulled me along. I heard Gimli fall over behind us and then Legolas calling to him.

“Come, Gimli! We are gaining on them!”

“I am wasted on cross-country! We dwarves are natural sprinters! Very dangerous over short distances!” Gimli replied.

“Rohan. Home of the horse-lords. There is something strange at work here. Some evil gives speed to these creatures, sets its will against us.” Aragorn said as we came to a stop at last. I cherished the warm setting set on my face. What do your Elf eyes see?”

“Uh, not a lot if you hadn’t noticed.” I remarked.

“I was talking to Legolas.” He petted me on the head.

“Oh! That would make a lot more sense.” I mumbled, my cheeks getting hot.

“Don’t worry about it. You humour me.” He chuckled, tapping my chin. That was Aragorn. Always babying me.

“The Uruks turn northeast. They’re taking the hobbits to Isengard!” Legolas shouted from in front of us.

Saruman.” Aragorn mumbled quietly.

  Eventually I had lagged behind to run…well more like jog or swiftly walk beside Gimli, whose legs were distinctly shorter than the rest of ours.  

“Keep breathing! That’s the key! Breathe! Ho!” He puffed.  

“You just worry about yourself there Gimli.” I chuckled, earning a puff of a laughter from him. We continued to run through the night, then stench of Orc blood singeing my nostril hairs.

"A red sun rises. Blood has been spilled this night." Legolas said as the sun started to rise, it's slightly warm rays reaching me. As the sun climbed higher, the sound of horses hooves were heard. "Amara!" Legolas pulled me to his chest hiding me and nearly ripping my arms off in the process but what did it matter? He smelt nice... strangely. As quickly as I was pulled one way, I was pulled the next.

"Riders of Rohan, what news from the Mark?"Aragorn called after the horse-men. Suddenly we were surrounded by sweaty, smelly horses, me being wedged between Aragorm and Legolas.

"What business do an Elf, a man and a Dwarf have in the Riddermark? Speak quickly!" I had heard this voice before, however I couldn't remember who it belonged to.