Chapter Nine

I automatically wake up early. When I'm awake enough, I start to smell food. It smells like bacon. I slip my ring on and head downstairs. “Kasey is that you?”I ask, realize how stupid of a question that is, who else could it be. She doesn’t reply, so I continue on downstairs. Hoping that it is her. I go into the kitchen and find Kasey on the food while cooking. I see that there is bacon and pancakes. Seems like a good breakfast. Kasey doesn’t notice that I'm standing there, so I eavesdrop onto what she is saying, “I don’t know where he is right now.”She says into the phone, she must be talking about Jimmy. “Well, with his troubled past, what did you expect? Something like this was bound to happen.” I let the words sink in. Jimmy has a troubled past, what did he do? She is saying some more things that aren’t important, so I plop down on a chair to get her attention. “I got to go.”She tells the person on the phone, then turning to me she begins, “How did you sleep? How was the party?”

“Fine.”I tell her, I can tell she is trying to get around not talking about what she was talking about on the phone. “Who were you talking on the phone to? And what is Jimmy’s troubled past?”

“It's none of your business, and you shouldn’t ease drop on your mother like that.” She says, using a tone I never heard from her.

“You’re not even my real mother. I'm the princess of your planet. I could call and have this mission done. And you don’t tell me what to do!”I burst, and then I head upstairs. How dare she tell me to not do something? She obviously got too much into the mission that she forgot who I am. I decide that I’ll stay in my room until she goes in hers or leaves. I can’t wait until Earth calls, so we can solve all these problems. Something needs to be done about Jimmy and him leaving.

My father had to have picked out some of the worst people to be on this mission. With nothing else to do, I check my phone. I only have one text message, and it’s from Ben. I feel a smile creep up onto my face. I check it and see that he wants me to go with him for ice cream. I text him back “yes”. I could use a distraction from Kasey and Jimmy. Within minutes he texts me, saying he will pick me up in 30 minutes. I nod to myself, like he would see it. I first text Amada telling her what I'm about to do. Then I get out of bed and look through my closet for something to wear. I pick a pair of jeans out and then put out a simple shirt. I check my phone again and see that Amada is really excited. I finish texting her and wait around my room until I get the text message that he is here.

Ten minutes later, I'm leaving my room and rushing downstairs before Ben knocks on the door. Before Kasey can say anything, I'm out the door and almost bumping into Ben. “Hey, let’s go. I'll explain in the car.”I tell him, pulling him with me towards the car. He doesn’t try to stop me, and instead he opens the passenger door open for me. I get in and wait for him to come to the driver side. “Let me guess, you and your mother got into a fight?”I nod, trying not to cringe at the word mother. “Well, ice cream should cheer you up.” I nod again and look out the window. From the looks of it, we are going to the ice cream place Nate took me too.

Sure enough, it’s the same ice cream place. Like a gentleman Ben comes to my side and opens the door for me. Once we are inside, I order a scoop of butter pecan ice cream and he gets two scoops of chocolate. We sit down in a corner booth and I can feel the questions about to come. “So I heard you’re from California.”He states taking a bit out of his ice cream.

“Yep.”I reply, hoping he don’t ask anything else about California.