Part 2

He had stood her up.

Fucking perfect.

Kara shivered against the crisp evening air. The sun was setting and the night was getting cooler, but Kara was pretty sure that it was her disappointment that ran a chill through her.

He’d seemed so nice, too. Well, mostly nice. Kara could not ignore the alarm bells that had warned her off him from the moment that mesmerizing smile ignited something deep inside her.

She’d even bothered to shave. What was she thinking was going to happen exactly?

Everytime someone new approached the restaurant, she couldn’t help but look up to see if it was him.

Damien, he had called himself.

It was funny that she'[d thought of it like that. Of course he called himself Damien; that was his name.

Maybe he was just running late. It was only fifteen, no, eighteen minutes past when they’d agreed to meet. He could have run into traffic. Or maybe he couldn’t find parking. This was the Gaslamp quarter of San Diego after all. Finding parking her is nightmarish at the best of times.

But she didn’t believe that.

At least she hadn’t gotten a table inside. That would have been way more embarrassing.

After a while, Kara looked at her watch again. “Screw this.” She muttered under her breath. She wasn’t about to wait around for the bastard a moment longer.

He fucked up big time. He’d never know what he was missing.

With head held high, she walked away from the restaurant with as much dignity as she could muster. Not that anyone was looking at her anyway.

No one ever looked at her.

She fished for her keys in her bag as she approached the corner. They always fell to the bottom of her bag, and tonight it was like they were actively hiding from her.

Because she was so distracted by her wayward keys, she hadn’t seen him. As she turned the corner to head toward her car, she ran straight into a solid wall of muscle covered by a light cotton shirt. The man hardly seemed to notice, but she was already feeling just slightly awkward in her heels so the impact caused her to lose her balance and land flat on her ass.

Fucking perfect.

This night really couldn’t get any better.

“My fault!” The man said, extending a strong hand to her. She looked up and was greeted by two shockingly blue eyes. She studied them for a moment, looking for any hint of mockery or amusement, but she found none.

Holy hell. This man was perfect. A mane of blond hair, blue eyes and tanned skin. She’d known he was muscular from their little collision, but she could now see the breadth of his shoulders and how narrow his hips were.

And he seemed like a gentleman.

“No, it was all mine.” Kara said attempting to climb to her feet unassisted.

“Please, I should have been paying more attention.” He smiled and left his hand extended, waiting patiently to see if she’d accept his offer or prefer to do it on her own.

Kara considered for a moment more, but ultimately decided to accept the kind gesture. She placed her hand in his and her skin ignited at the contact. It was like electricity had jumped from him into her, causing all of her nerve endings to shiver with pleasure.

His beautiful mouth parted as he took a sharp breath.

Had he felt it too?

__________

She was a succubus. That was the body she had been granted. A demon of seduction and corruption.

Zeni could live with that.

He would be asleep now, she figured. She had spent several glorious hours absorbing the wonder of life, but knew she’d have to find her quarry soon. She realized she had no idea how long The King would allow her to remain topside. She may have already wasted what precious little time she had.

But for those precious few moments of watching sunsets, following a shooting star and smelling the sweetest flowers, Zeni didn’t think she’d trade anything.

She knew where he lived from the time she’d spent watching him from the abyss. As she began tracking him, she found that she was able to hone in on his essence as if it was embedded with a homing beacon.

She could feel his soul and was drawn to it.

The physical world seemed to know that she was an outsider. It shifted and gave way for her; nothing was hard or solid under her touch. The few people that she did come across looked through her without seeing her, and naturally avoided stepping into her path.

It was as if she moved through a world made of clouds.

Zeni found herself outside of his house, her body humming in anticipation. The force of his soul radiated throughout her as she knew her target was nearly within reach.

She stepped through the wall.

__________

If you like what you've read here and want to see more, please leave a comment and/or vote to let me know!